Author Topic: Freight Traffic  (Read 42427 times)

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
Weather and time permitting, I often walk rather than take the North Avenue bus. This Tuesday my timing was just right, and a Chicago Terminal train came trundling south across North Avenue right after I reached the crossing.

Someone had opened the gate for them ahead of time, and there were no signs of any construction workers on the site. The train tip-toed across the bridge. Not that it ever hurries anyway.

It was a good size load. They had five cars: a gondola (not sure with or without a load), two loaded center-beam flats with plywood, and two more loaded gondolas.

These last two were interesting, an old C&NW and an old ConRail, both so rusted and battered they looked to be held together more from habit than construction. It wasnÕt clear what they were carrying was scrap or some manner of castings. I know there are incoming shipments of scrap, but is the CT getting any outgoing shipments of metal? IÕve seen gondolas on the train to Goose Island before, but theyÕve been empty.

I also wonder if CTÕs interchange is now solely with the Union Pacific or whether the Canadian Pacific occasionally sends some cars its way.

be well,
bob roman

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »
I have noticed a lot of firewood stacked down at the south end of Kingsbury at the firewood place. Anybody know if they are getting any deliveries by train as they did early on?

GM
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Good question.

I thought that last winter it was an outbound load of firewood from that location to a customer somewhere else on one of parent Iowa Pacific\'s shortlines out west.  

Chicago Terminal dropped off an empty gondola at the end of the tracks to be filled.

The developers of the former Midwest Zinc property claimed that this movement was \"contrived\" by CTR as I recall.

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
Freight Traffic
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TBurke

The developers of the former Midwest Zinc property claimed that this movement was \"contrived\" by CTR as I recall.

That gon was never full, as I recall.  It just sat there for a few days.

-=Chuck=-
Mail: chuckjanda@hotmail.com
Home: http://www.chucksphotospot.com
Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

Ben

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Not really sure to what capacity this means to anything or anyone, but there was a CP Rail (want to say it was a GP38) sitting by itself on the west side of the Bloomingdale line right at the A2 tower this morning as my Metra train went west at about 8:15....

here  http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114769471366695441383.00045b7f68d5c0020ac3e&ll=41.913803,-87.721024&spn=0.000758,0.001684&t=h&z=19

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »
Hi,

I have a feeling this doesn\'t mean too much.  We discussed something similar to this in the past.  Thanks for the post.  Hope everything is well.

-Matt

GM

USA
99 Posts
 Posted - 01/29/2007 :  18:49:14    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the link to the following photo. Proof that the Bloomingdale Line is still in use! Take a look at the middle right area of the picture, you can see a live red signal in effect. Check out the remarks area verifying the picture was taken on the Bloomingdale line thought to be abandoned. Photo was taken this month and year! Too bad it wasn\'t a train bound for the Kingsbury/Goose Island/Lakewood Lines like in the past. Then again who knows what the future holds. Never say never.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=172109

GM

TBurke

USA
183 Posts
 Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:39:06    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CP Rail uses the westernmost end of the Bloomingdale Line for freight car storage. I have photos of cars up there with a caboose on the end.

raisin

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
From the Kennedy yesterday, I saw the CTR engine carrying a centerbeam car and two gondolas, including one that had a steel coil in it.  I hope it\'s enough to keep them going.  I wonder if UP is interested in spinning off their Tribune and chocolate company business to CTR.

JohnColeman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
On Friday morning there was a string of 8 gondolas lined up on the approach to the bloomingdale line (next to Sipi Metals).  Looked like all empties, but hard to tell for sure from my passing Metra train.  

It would make sense to me that the UP would want to have the CTR take over switching for Blommer and the Tribune.  While the Tribune is probably seeing less traffic, Blommer seems to always have lots of cars on around it (on the upper and lower spurs, in the Tribune yard, and on the old approach track for the bridge to get to the  Sun Times).

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
I saw them on the weekend by Finkl Steel

GM
GM

Ben

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
Went out this past Tuesday and took some pictures.  They were having problems getting through some of the snow piles and clearing it from the switches, but nothing they needed a backhoe for. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cardstock/sets/72157612541897986/

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »
Great photos!

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
My guess is that the forklift and possibly the backhoe in that other photo used to clear the compacted ice and snow off the track came from Big Bay Lumber.  The crew probably notified Big Bay that they could not get through and Big Bay sent their equipment up Cherry Street to help.

I have a photo from way back on this site of a CP Rail crew using compressed air from MOW truck to blow snow and ice out of the switch points at the Big Bay Lumber spur.  

From talking to folks who used to work these lines, winter was rough with derailments caused by wheels on freight cars sliding off flangeways packed in ice.  Another risk was losing your grip while holding onto a slippery hand rail on a freight car that was moving-and getting hit by traffic or worse, falling under the moving freight car\'s wheels.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
Speaking of falling under the freight car I just saw an unbelievable story that was on TV (NBC I believe) about this happening to a BNSF employee in Texas who fell during a switching move and was pulled under the moving freight car wheels and was literally severed in half. Amazingly he survived and is still working for the railroad as a yardmaster, he is now in a wheelchair as his legs could not be saved. The news piece was about how certain people defy the odds and survive horrible tragedies.

GM
GM

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »
I remember getting to witness the effects of ice causing derailments first hand.  

http://www.chicagoswitching.com/v5/articles/article.asp?articleid=107

Bad day for the crew.  Awsome day for me.

-Matt

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
In doing my research for The Milwaukee Road in Chicago book I found that there were two men who were killed while working the lines.

One was killed at the former sanitarium at the end of the Dunning Line and the other at an industry on Goose Island.  In each case they were riding the sides of freight cars being pushed into indoor loading docks and there was not enough clearance and they were crushed...

...which explains the weathered sign that is on the wall of a Finkl building where an unused spur goes into the building, just east of the swing bridge, warning about no room for man on side of car.