Author Topic: Model Railroad Has Photo of Puzzle Switch on Kingsbury Line in October Issue  (Read 1764 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
The new issue of MR has a photo on page 20 of a puzzle switch supposedly on the Kingsbury Line in downtown Chicago as the article states.  The photo caption says it is from the 1960s.

Problem is I have never come across evidence of a puzzle switch in "downtown Chicago" on the Kingsbury (C&E South Line officially) line in various Milwaukee Road engineering diagrams from 1955 and 1971 nor is one depicted in the April 1975 MR which has a very detailed article with extensive photos and a track plan of the Kingsbury Line from Division Street south to Grand Avenue.

In looking at the photo there appears to be a grade separation with a street in the background at a lower elevation than the tracks with the puzzle switch in the background.  Also in the background is another spur running alongside a building with a boxcar parked on it.  Again, I am not aware of any grade separation between parallel tracks on this completely flat stretch of ROW that ran mostly down streets.

My guess is that the photo is mislabeled and that the location is actually the Beer Line in downtown Milwaukee which did have have these characteristics and match the setting better.

Any other guesses?