Author Topic: Freight Traffic  (Read 42185 times)

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
Yes, I have seen a box car about a month ago from the Metra while going by the Mayfair Yard. Haven\'t noticed nothing in the past couple of weeks but nothing at Lee either.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
Was by Peerless Sunday, sure looks empty I wonder how long before they start paving over the rails or removing them? Do they need to first get some federal approval?

GM
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 08:17:27 PM »
Generally a railroad must wait two years after the last revenue movement on a particular line before petitioning the Surface Transportation Board to legally abandon it. If there are objections from current or potential shippers on the affected line then that can delay or defer the process.

It is probably not cut and dry in the case of the Chicago Terminal line up to Diversey from Clybourn since it all may depend upon the terms of the original franchise agreement between the predecessor Chicago & Evanston/Milwaukee Road and the City of Chicago.  Much of the C&E operates/operated on city streets or alleys via franchise agreements.  

There may be clause in the franchise agreement where if trains are not operated in X number of months or years it reverts back to the city which can do whatever it wants with the tracks.  The original intent of these kinds of stipulations was to ensure that the winning railroad with the franchise actually operated it for the public good and didn\'t just stake a claim for the future, as well as maintaining the area of the street over which the railroad operated.  

All of this is speculation.  Chicago Terminal of course could decide to keep the line active.

raisin

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
2 boxcars at Big Bay as of 8/21.  Good to see.  I feel like buying some lumber from them just to help them keep going!

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
The engine has been sitting in the yard off the Kennnedy a lot lately. Anytime I pass on a Tuesday or Thursday it is sitting there where in times past it was out working. Business must be slow, once Finkl is gone there really won\'t be much movement going on.

GM
GM

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »
Hi,

Well, I guess buisness will become slow.  I managed to go down there on Tuesday and I believe they had something like a dozen cars.  One crew member commented that was about all their little engine could take going around the curve and up the slight grade.  I think it was something like 6 for General Iron 2 for Big Bay and 4 for Finkel.  

-Matt

raisin

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
While driving by on the Kennedy Monday, it looked like Sipi had 3 gondola cars.  I was suprised, because I\'d never actually seen any cars there before.  I tried to get a closer look but couldn\'t get close enough to confirm the highway view.

JohnColeman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 12:19:43 AM »
I think those cars are actually not for Sipi, but for General Iron or Finkle.  From the Metra, you can see they are on the lead next to Sipi, not on the sput into it.  My understanding is the UP puts them there for the CTRR or vice versa.  Those particular cars have been there since at least last Monday.  I\'ve been riding the Metra past this for about four months and unfortunately have yet to see any cars on the Sipi spur inside their fence.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Was driving by Finkl on Sunday night and through the lot looking toward the river I saw 2 center beam cars with loads of lumber sitting there, I guess for Big Bay. Thought it was unusual that loads of lumber would sit on the rail cars behind Finkl and not in the North Ave Yard until it was ready to be delivered. Seems a greater chance for theft in the Finkl area. Tuesday and Thursday is when they go out on their rounds still, correct? The lumber has a wait until Tuesday\'s delivery.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
Have not seen the engine at the North Ave the last two nights
(Wed & Thurs.) wonder if they have been making deliveries this week.
Any idea where the engine goes to get serviced?

GM
GM

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
Freight Traffic
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 03:16:15 AM »
If I am not mistaken,they may get serviced at Proviso...North Ave yard gets its freight from Proviso via the Northwest Line  to Deval,past O\'Hare then down to Proviso...So,I am thinking the same thing...

Cway

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi,

I was able to return to the chicago area over x-mas break and got to visit the elk grove job.  I talked with the crew for a bit and one was a former member of the chicago job.  Once again he gave no inclination that they were giving up and (once again) they talked about something \"exciting\" that could happen but couldn\'t disclose anything so that he wouldn\'t lose his job and \"to not get my hopes up\"  I guess we get to wait and see!

-Matt

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
Big Bay Lumber appears to be having a lot of business. I have seen box cars and center beams out on the street by them lately.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »
On the other hand I drove by Peerless last weekend and it was a sad site to see the middle part of the building missing from the wrecking ball. Lakewood is going the way of Deering. I wonder how long before the rail starts getting ripped up.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 01:06:44 AM »
Saw Chgo. Terminal Engine bringing back empties to North Ave Yard(center beam and boxcar) from Big Bay Lumber on Thursday around 6PM. Engine no longer has a new paint job, looks like a lot of black exhaust from stack staining side of engine. Wonder what is the count down until FInkl closes operations?

GM
GM