Author Topic: Freight Traffic  (Read 42649 times)

Chooch1

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
On my inbound commute this morning I saw an empty gondola at the Sipi Metals spur.

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
I was walking home on Thursday, April 9, after 4 PM. There was a good bit of activity around Goose Island. The rowing teams were out, and there was a tug pushing an empty barge south through the turning basin. It was a huge barge and empty. But there was also Chicago Terminal train coming on to Goose Island with two gondolas.

Out of curiosity, I waited around to see the return run. It didn\'t take too long for it to return with an empty BNSF boxcar (\"excess height car\"), an empty lumber rack (Northwestern Oklahoma Railroad), and the two empty gondolas (private car fleet, Tube City Inc: a metals reprocessing firm). The gondolas were well used, but had been repainted and refurbished not that long ago.

This was rather late in the afternoon, and I\'m wondering if Chicago Terminal is having one crew cover both Elk Grove Village and Chicago. That could account for the report of an untended Chicago Terminal run parked on the tracks: crew out of time.

Not only was the automobile traffic very dense on North Avenue and (I imagine) Division, but do they also have to run the gauntlet of commuter traffic to get into the yard?

be well,
bob roman

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »
Bob:

What were the gondolas doing on Goose Island?  Normally they would leave the gondolas for General Iron Industries or Finkl farther up the line while they switched Big Bay.  I would like to think that CTR management is recruiting a new customer.

There is no impact on CTR operations by Metra trains on the UP line since CTR hugs the far eastern side of the yard, then drops down onto home rails via a freight only connecting track that runs behind Sipi Metals.  In the old days (pre-2001) CP Rail/Soo Line/Milwaukee Road trains did have to wait for commuter trains to clear when accessing the C&E Line via the Bloomingdale Line which crossed the busy Metra/UP/C&NW line.  

After CP ceased using the Bloomingdale Line as a bridge line in 2001 it based their engines and crew at the North Avenue office and yard of the UP as a tenant, a practice CTR continues.  The former interchange track between the CP/Milwaukee Road and the UP/C&NW is what is used now to reach home rails by the CTR.

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »
Don\'t know, except I\'ve noticed they do this routinely. My guess is that they pick up cars as they go along then make an uninterrupted run home (like a horse headed for the barn?). Although the alternative is that they serve Goose Island first then drop off and pick up on their way back. Either way, they park the cars on the Goose Island run-around track then shove the cars for the lumberyard the rest of the way. Either way, it seems like a waste of fuel, but it\'s likely there\'s no convenient place to park them.

(It would be fiendish, wouldn\'t it, to use Kingsbury Street for that?)

Thanks for the clarification about yard access. From the CTR web page, I suspected they had their own route in but I don\'t often take METRA and have only a dial-up internet connection so I don\'t get to actually see the tracks.

be well,
bob roman

Chooch1

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
I was on the Metra Milwaukee North line today and I noticed two centerbeam lumber cars being unloaded at Mayfair Lumber. Up until today I hadn\'t noticed any rail activity there in months.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
Nice to see activity at Mayfair Lumber. Two centerbeam cars also.

GM
GM

Frank C.

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »
Hey guys,
Is CTR still running Tuesdays and THursdays, also When does the Elk Grove job run?

Frank

JohnColeman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
There are two cars parked on the Sipi Metals spur.  I\'ve never seen more than one parked there in the past.  It is always they same type of gondola car.Does anyone know if they are receiving materials or shipping them out?

JohnColeman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
After observing for a few days, I think I can answer my own question.  When the gondola cars arrived at Sipi they were uncovered.  When I passed by again, one of them had a tarp covering it.  When I passed by the next day, both had tarps secured on top. I imagine they are loaded and then covered for shipment...

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:43 AM »
Yesterday, July 9, my timing was lucky and I left the North & Clyborn L stop in time to see a CTR run crossing North Avenue. It was hauling a single car, a load of lumber.

By the time I got to the tracks, the run was at the Cherry Av runaround. They left the load there, and remembering the news that Serious Materials might be a new customer, I hung around to see if they would leave it there. They returned from the lumber yard with an empty center beam car. They pulled behind the loaded car and pushed both back to the lumber yard, then came back with the empty.

It turned out to be their sole business that day.

The renovations to the bridge to Goose Island include the installation of metal matting between the rails over the bridge and new sidewalks crossing the tracks. In each case, the space for flanges have been filled with an odd material resembling rubber. It\'s pretty solid, doesn\'t seem to compress much when a train rolls over it, suggesting that, initially at least, the equipment is running partially on its flanges. I wonder if it\'s designed to eventually compress to allow for the flanges. I wonder what it will be like come winter and snow if it does not compress.

The bridge ain\'t ready for the public yet. The project seems to be at a pause point, possibly waiting for a new (sub)contractor to come in to handle a different part of the reconstruction. But at least one guy on the small crew present kept on checking the progress of the CTR run.

The empty car was Canadian National (CNA), incidentally.

be well,
bob roman

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
Chicago Terminal was busy at work on Sunday at 2:00PM in the North Ave Yard arranging gons. Saw it while driving past on the Kennedy. There must have been at least 30 Gons on two tracks with 15 having what looked like scrap steel loads. Maybe business is starting to pick up.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
Riding my bike down Elston noticed there were gons inside by SIPI metals.

GM
GM

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
Looks like business is picking up then...

Wednesday was a perfectly lovely day. Even though I was a bit short on time, I decided to walk east on North Avenue rather than take the bus. When I crossed the tracks to North Avenue, I noted a nice but thin (amid the rust) polish to the rails. I figured it must have been done yesterday, yesterday being Tuesday. But when I came to the North Ave yard, there was CTR\'s 800 coming across the bridge pulling a string of 6 gondolas: Missouri Pacific, Arkansas-Oklahoma (looked familiar), Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, and (if I remember correctly) two more Missouri Pacific. I couldn\'t see if there were any loads, but the springs appeared to be compressed and the tracks were certainly groaning enough, so I think they were loaded.

be well,
bob roman

gordg3

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2009, 01:07:41 AM »
While heading downtown today on the Metra Milwaukee District West Line 2232 I observed CP 4600 traveling west on the Bloomingdale Line (just west of Lawndale). No cars in tow.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
Probably to deliver the hoppers sitting on the line for Newleywed Foods by Healy

GM
GM