Author Topic: photo missions  (Read 796 times)

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
photo missions
« on: June 30, 2023, 11:45:57 AM »
Hi all, with this biking habit of mine (now electrically-assisted) I'm spending a lot of time around rights of way whether operating or converted to a path or somewhere in between. If anyone has anything in Chicago(land) that'd be interesting to see a current picture of, post the location and I'll make my way to it for some forum photos. I'm based on the north side near Wrigley, range is city limits/surrounding suburbs. I can also do handlebar mount GoPro video footage. Anybody have any interesting requests?   :D   --Jeff

near Foster

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: photo missions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 07:28:36 AM »
How about retracing the route of the former Milwaukee Road Chicago & Evanston Line?

You could start at the former Buena Yard, just north of Irving Park Road where it interchanged with the CTA via a ramp. Then follow it south all the way to where it at one time crossed the North Branch of the Chicago River at Kinzie and Kingsbury and joined the main MILW tracks along Canal Street where they Metra/Amtrak tracks now cross Canal. It ran on the east side of Canal Street after crossing by where the East Bank Club now sits.

Your route would be primarily on city streets like Lakewood and Kingsbury. You could take a side trip onto Goose Island.

Show what artifacts like embedded tracks in the pavement are still left.

These maps should help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/albums/72157715114878692

Put your photos on Flickr also.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 07:46:11 AM by TBurke »

themats

• View Profile
Re: photo missions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 04:22:29 PM »
Jeff,

Here's a mission for ya:

Get shots of the former C&NW tracks at the water purification plant just north of Navy Pier.   ;D ;D ;D

Get in, and get out quickly before they start shooting at you!

I KEED I KEED.

Mike