Author Topic: ADM mill being demolished  (Read 2650 times)

haggar

• View Profile
ADM mill being demolished
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
The subject says it all. Sterling Bay was going to try to re-purpose part of it but apparently it's all coming down. I lived right across the tracks from here. My son and I spent many hours watching the evening switch job. He developed a love for trains; a nice hobby we'll always be able to share.
One of these years, when I have free time, I'll post the numerous videos I took of those switching jobs.
With Continental Paper Grading being relocated,  the only immediate downtown area industries left are Tribune and Blommer. And we all know that Trib plans on selling off that land in the near future.

Joe

rschroeder1

• View Profile
Re: ADM mill being demolished
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
I came across this switching job quite a few times on my bike commute home.  One video of it (not my video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGtQr9CuiyE

One question someone might be able to answer.  On a couple rare occasions, the NS switching engine would be parked on the ADM tracks, engine off, cab empty.  I suppose the crew could have been picked up there, just not sure why that might be.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:08:38 PM »
The subject says it all. Sterling Bay was going to try to re-purpose part of it but apparently it's all coming down. I lived right across the tracks from here. My son and I spent many hours watching the evening switch job. He developed a love for trains; a nice hobby we'll always be able to share.
One of these years, when I have free time, I'll post the numerous videos I took of those switching jobs.
With Continental Paper Grading being relocated,  the only immediate downtown area industries left are Tribune and Blommer. And we all know that Trib plans on selling off that land in the near future.

Joe

Chicago gets lets interesting every year with the loss of its industrial heritage.

The Tribune was bought out this week by an investment group known for its aggressive cost-cutting. They will probably gut the paper with yet more layoffs and try to sell the land on which the Freedom Center printing press operates. The Tribune prints in addition to its own paper the Sun-Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times there under contracts.

I suppose they could outsource production to the go-to regional printer, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has extra capacity at its printing press in West Milwaukee that is only some twenty years old and truck the newspapers to the Chicago area. CP services this printing press as it does with the much smaller Daily Herald printing press in Schaumburg.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:14:04 PM by TBurke »

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:21:23 AM »
My company has the elevator maintenance contract at Freedom Center. I have taken a few videos of switching from the parking lot. I have a few more from under the Ohio feeder bridge. Will try to post them one of these years.

Joe

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:08:27 PM »
My company has the elevator maintenance contract at Freedom Center. I have taken a few videos of switching from the parking lot. I have a few more from under the Ohio feeder bridge. Will try to post them one of these years.

Joe

Please consider doing so. That's some great archival footage there.

raisin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:16:40 PM »
Why did NS have that switch job? NS tracks aren't anywhere around there are they? Isn't that all UP trackage?

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:55 AM »
Raisin,
That is part of the old Pennsylvania Railroad's panhandle
line.  That's why there is a PRR signal bridge between Racine and May.

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2015/02/prrs-chicago-and-great-eastern-railway.html?m=1