Author Topic: Chi Switching Group Outing for April 2007  (Read 13047 times)

mark_k

• View Profile
Chi Switching Group Outing for April 2007
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tom mann

If you meet up, please take some group shots and I\'ll post them to the aboutus/contributors section.

------------
tom mann
http://www.chicagoswitching.com

Already have it on my checklist Tom.

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »
A little less than 2 weeks to go until 10 April.
Due to a family crisis there is now a _possibility_ that I might not be visiting Chicagoland.
I can\'t say either way yet, so let\'s continue to fine tune the plans.

I\'m setting 8 AM to 3 PM aside for this outing, just to be flexible. Meeting time at Starbucks (Kingsbury & North Aves) still TBD.

Could any forum members give us a rough idea of when the Chicago Terminal crews get started (presumably at North Avenue Yard) on a Tuesday?

Some of us might wish to contact each other off-list for cell phone numbers if necessary.

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Hi,

Are there any plans to do something on the southside before this?

-Matt

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cnwnorthline

Hi,

Are there any plans to do something on the southside before this?

-Matt

Matt,

Not on Tuesday. I had briefly considered doing a South Side drive-by on Easter Sunday AM. No trains, but not much traffic to contend with.

Mark

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
Hi,

I thought someone had mentioned that things don\'t get rolling on the north side till around 11ish which would give time to do a quick southside stop.  It\'s not that we have to, it\'s just that I don\'t know anything about those lines and it would be cool to learn a little about them.  What was the plan for the first 3 hours then?  Just wondering and adding my 2 cents.

-Matt

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cnwnorthline

Hi,

I thought someone had mentioned that things don\'t get rolling on the north side till around 11ish which would give time to do a quick southside stop.  It\'s not that we have to, it\'s just that I don\'t know anything about those lines and it would be cool to learn a little about them.  What was the plan for the first 3 hours then?  Just wondering and adding my 2 cents.

-Matt

I\'m not entirely sure when things get started for Chicago Terminal hence my 8AM-3PM rough guess. We can move the initial meet to 10 AM or so as more operations info becomes available.

I had mentioned the South Side as a possibility, however logistically speaking, it probably deserves a day of its own.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:20:41 PM by mark_k »

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »
5 days and counting.

If anyone from out of town needs anything photographed, please let us know. I think SlowFreight/Taylor mentioned wanting some pix from Goose Island, but I\'m not sure if he meant historic or current.

Meet-up time is 10 AM. Look for a crowd of people with camera gear. Starbucks at North/Sheffield/Kingsbury.

Should anyone wish to exchange cell phone numbers, just in case, e-mail me: dilly64468 [at] mypacks [dot] net

djohanns

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »
Good times were had at the outing.  Four of us went all over the area and got many good pictures of the Chicago Terminal switching.

I\'m sure one or more of us will be doing a writeup and submitting some pictures soon.

Dan J.

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
Good times were had for sure.

Our crew was Dan J (djohanns), Matt S. (cnwnorthline), Doug Kaniuk (D. Kaniuk) and myself.

We met at Starbucks, waiting around until about 10:20 or so. Doug was on a tight schedule so we really couldn\'t wait much longer -- apologies if anyone showed up afterward looking for us.

First stop was end of track at Division/Kingsbury/Halsted. An old truck trailer with a late-era Iliinois Central logo was spotted in Chicago Firewood\'s yard.

Next stop: Goose Island mini-tour. Division to Hickory to North Branch to Cherry. We walked around Big Bay and Nazdar. A new Commonwealth Edison facility has gone up at the intersection of Bliss/NorthBranch/Cherry. Rail service to deliver transformers and heavy equipment could happen some day.

We next drove up to the Goose Island drawbridge and the run-around track. A relatively new footpath parallels the tracks and people were walking over the drawbridge, presumably to get lunch on \"the mainland\".

On to Morton Salt on Elston with a peek into the UP/CT North Avenue yard. We spotted the Chicago Terminal switcher getting prepped for the afternoon job.

Doug had to leave us for a few hours at this point. Matt, Dan and I went on to the industrial area east of Elston (\"East Bloomingdale Switchign District\" for convenience of reference), just south of Chicago Terminal\'s swingbridge. Access to the bridge from the south is severely restricted now as a formerly abandoned lumber complex is now gated off with an office of some sort on part of the premises.
We asked permission at one of the facilities adjacent to the river, but were politely declined.

On to the Cortland Avenue drawbridge where we waited for the Terminal to show. An hour or so passed so we headed off to Clybourn to get lunch. En route, some sightseeing at Finkl\'s was in order: steel was being poured in one of the bays.

Following lunch we headed back to Cortland drawbridge where we immediately spotted C.T.\'s engine on the Elston overpass, switching out cars. We ran over to Elston for an hour plus of watching the crew put a train together. Gondolas full of scrap and 2 cars full of lumber. Just as the final consist came together, Doug returned from his appointment.

After Elston we were able to watch the Terminal crossing the river then do some switching just west of General Iron. The train finally arrived at C&E Junction just before 3:30 PM which was when I had to leave for the airport.

I presume Dan, Doug and Matt followed the train down to Big Bay on Goose Island. One of them can finish this report.

Many thanks to Doug K. for his generosity.

Additional thanks go to Chicago Terminal\'s fine crew for answering our questions and allowing us to photograph their operations.

D. Kaniuk

• View Profile
    • http://www.dhke.com
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »
After Mark left, Chicago Terminal first switched Finkl steel, then went down to Goose Island to leave a carload of plywood. Finally, the crew decide to park a box car on a siding at Kingbury and Blackhawk (across the street fom VIPs).

tom mann

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mannresearch.com
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »
Cool, guys.  It\'s great to see the group expand over the years and pick up new members!

------------
tom mann

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:03 PM »
First real post here, other than my introduction.
I was surprised to see a TBOX boxcar on Kingsbury today.  I checked this forum when I got home and saw that D. Kaniuk had noted this.  Anyone know why it was spotted there?

Joe

djohanns

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »

Joe,
I\'m guessing they delivered that TBOX car to the ex-Midwest-Zinc spur just to claim their territory.  I\'m thinking that the eventual destination of this car is Big Bay Lumber.

I\'ve seen photos from the past where either the same TBOX car or one very similar to it has been heading there.

see this pic from 2006:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151294

Hope that helps,

Btw, I plan to submit some of my pics from the photo outing to the site in the next few days.

Dan J.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »
Speaking of Midwest Zinc, I sent Tom M. a batch of photos to post of a Soo Line crew working their spur from years ago.  They\'re swapping out an empty boxcar for a full one.  Since that spur is once again seeing some use, even temporary, it made sense to show what things were like at Midwest Zinc prior to its closure.

Also included are other shots along Kingsbury, including freight cars at the former Plibrico refractory (two sets of spurs) and a boxcar parked outside the former waterbed factory (lumber for the frames) on Kingsbury from the 1980s.  Plibrico\'s building is still there but it was swallowed up by General Iron Industries, while the waterbed factory burned down in the 1980s.

Hopefully they will appear soon so people can do some now and then type viewing of the same section of tracks.

tom mann

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mannresearch.com
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »
The photos showing the delivery of lumber for the waterbed frames are up.

------------
tom mann