Author Topic: URGENT: Final Day of North Ave Yard Operations: 06/12/2020  (Read 3145 times)

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
URGENT: Final Day of North Ave Yard Operations: 06/12/2020
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:18:15 PM »
Our dreaded day of reckoning has finally come.

I have received word from an inside source that this upcoming Friday, June 12 2020, is the final day of freight-based operations for Union Pacific out of the North Ave Yard.

The crew has received orders to round up all of the remaining freight cars and take them up to Proviso on Friday. The freight switching operations of Blommer, Tribune, etc. will be taken over by another UP crew based out of somewhere else (most likely Proviso).

UP 1430 (the current GP40-2 assigned to YNO68) will leave the yard for inspection on Thursday, and UP 1345 (another GP40-2) will be assigned to the final job.

Friday's itinerary includes:

- Rounding up all freight cars at North Ave.
- *possible* Upper-level Blommer Job, TBD.
- Run-around at Tribune Yard with all of the cars from North Ave.
- Slow pull of all cars toward the CY Tower as the crew heads north on the Harvard Sub.

Again, this is the end of YNO68 out of North Ave for the foreseeable future. It is a sudden end to decades of history that many of us on this site have worked hard to document.

If I find out any more information about time, I will update here. Hope to see you out in the field on Friday.

- Horace

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: URGENT: Final Day of North Ave Yard Operations: 06/12/2020
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
I will try to get down there.  A sad day indeed.  Do you know about what time they operate? 

That will be a long haul to go all the way from Proviso.  I imagine some track(s) will be maintained as run-around tracks.

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
I will try to get down there.  A sad day indeed.  Do you know about what time they operate? 

That will be a long haul to go all the way from Proviso.  I imagine some track(s) will be maintained as run-around tracks.

Operations begin around 08:00 tomorrow morning. Possible Blommer upper level switch job in store for tomorrow too!

georgeburin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
The story goes UP management caught a crew stealing time and subsequently decided they were better off to eliminate the North Avenue job.  Waukegan and North Ave. will be based out Proviso Yard.  UP has also eliminated the Bain local (Kenosha, WI).  Bain is now picked up/dropped off by LPR50 out of Proviso and LBU51 from Butler yard.  UP has opened up a few extra spots on the extra boards, but the changes have eliminated about 10 positions.

georgeburin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
LPR60 is the new job name for YNO68.  I believe LPR60 makes the trip into the city on Tuesdays heading in around 9:30-10:30am and out between 2:30 and 3:00pm.  I believe LPR60 heads north to Glenview and North Chicago on Wednesdays.  As UP local schedules get more solidified I will advise with any updated information. 

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »
Does it go to Alpha Baking first, then back to Tribune Publishing and Blommer, or vice versa?

georgeburin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
They go to Blommer first, then Tribune and finally Alpha baking from the operations i have observed.