Author Topic: Well, we all saw this coming...  (Read 3542 times)

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Well, we all saw this coming...
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:30:54 PM »
Looks like Chicago's eyeing some more former Milwaukee Road traffic for bike trails:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160531/bucktown/extend-606-under-kennedy-expressway-over-chicago-river-alderman-says

-Matt

chrism

• View Profile
Re: Well, we all saw this coming...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:10:47 PM »
nonworking steel swing bridge, when was this last used? That must mean all lines North of here are abandoned.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Interesting that the article also stated the bridge is owned by CP Rail.  So was Chicago Terminal merely a tenant? 

UP could handle the three or four gondolas a year that Sipi Metals gets from the North Avenue Yard. 

The former Milwaukee Road customers that Chicago Terminal inherited went away much more quickly than I expected, just a little over eight years. 

I'd like to see the 606 Trail extended east from where it ends now to Kingsbury.  At least it would preserve the historic rail corridor.  Since ships no longer go north of Cortland the bridge can probably stay fixed in place for people walking and biking the trail.  But do sailboats go north of Division Street on the river?  They tend to stop at the old International Salt/AKZO Salt complex on Goose Island to be stored.

I was disappointed when I walked the 606 Trail last summer and the city had ripped out any clue as to its heritage on top of the viaduct.  At least NYC preserved sections of track on its High Line.

The planners of this trail are going to have a real challenge crossing three busy Metra tracks by the Kennedy Expressway.  I don't see UP allowing anyone to cross at grade there.

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
Interesting that the article also stated the bridge is owned by CP Rail.  So was Chicago Terminal merely a tenant? 

UP could handle the three or four gondolas a year that Sipi Metals gets from the North Avenue Yard. 

The former Milwaukee Road customers that Chicago Terminal inherited went away much more quickly than I expected, just a little over eight years. 

I'd like to see the 606 Trail extended east from where it ends now to Kingsbury.  At least it would preserve the historic rail corridor.  Since ships no longer go north of Cortland the bridge can probably stay fixed in place for people walking and biking the trail.  But do sailboats go north of Division Street on the river?  They tend to stop at the old International Salt/AKZO Salt complex on Goose Island to be stored.

I was disappointed when I walked the 606 Trail last summer and the city had ripped out any clue as to its heritage on top of the viaduct.  At least NYC preserved sections of track on its High Line.

The planners of this trail are going to have a real challenge crossing three busy Metra tracks by the Kennedy Expressway.  I don't see UP allowing anyone to cross at grade there.

I agree with this 100% I prefer the rails to trails at least just to preserve the historic rail corridor. The CNW is almost completely built over and gone. There is barely any sign of it being there especially further up  North.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »

I agree with this 100% I prefer the rails to trails at least just to preserve the historic rail corridor. The CNW is almost completely built over and gone. There is barely any sign of it being there especially further up  North.

Which C&NW line do you mean?  The Skokie Subdivision through Lincolnwood?  I noticed that too on Devon and Peterson.  At least the Weber Line is being converted into a trail.

Jsu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »
I have friends who live next to where the Skokie Sub splits off from the Weber Sub at Bryn Mawr, I personally think the Lincolnwood tracks will fare much better than the Weber line.  For one, the Skokie Sub still has the tracks in place in quite a few areas.  It would be a good candidate for a trial, especially because there are already informal trails going up to Touhey.  The Weber line, while still traceable south of Simpson, is just so much more built over.  Ideally, you could have a Trail on the Weber line all the way to James park, and a Trail for the Skokie Line all the way to Illinois Rd to meet with the N Branch trail (actually in an ideal world there would still be trains running on these tracks, oh well  :P)

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

Which C&NW line do you mean?  The Skokie Subdivision through Lincolnwood?  I noticed that too on Devon and Peterson.  At least the Weber Line is being converted into a trail.

I'm talking North of Devon towards Evanston. The further North you go, the less recognizable it is. They at least still have a bridge crossing the canal.