Author Topic: General Iron on the way out?  (Read 5129 times)

chrism

• View Profile
General Iron on the way out?
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
With Finkl gone, Now the Yups are trying to push General Iron out. Was this the last rail served customer after Finkl?

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160204/lincoln-park/metal-scrap-yard-general-iron-faces-growing-backlash-from-pols-neighbors

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: General Iron on the way out?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
The NIMBYs move into an industrial area where that scrapyard has operated for decades then have the nerve to complain.

Crain's Chicago Business a few issues ago talked about scrapyards closing around Chicago due to the low prices for scrap metal.  My guess is General Iron will more likely close due to economic issues than NIMBY pressure.

Big Bay Lumber on Goose Island outlasted Finkl.  So if General Iron closes that will be the end of an era.  UP can switch the occasional gondola for Sipi Metals off the North Avenue Yard.

There are now a total of TWO former Milwaukee Road customers inside the Chicago city limits that still get regular deliveries by rail versus the hundreds going back to the 1960s.  General Iron Industries and Newly Wed Foods at 4140 West Fullerton.  That's it.  Since Sipi so rarely gets loads anymore I am not counting them.

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
If that happens, the rail bridge near Courtland will probably remain in the open position like the Carrol street bridge. What a shame. I thought there were more industries rail serviced in Galewood area near Radio Flyer or are those gone too?

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
I take it back, the Mars candy factory on the far west side is still technically in Chicago and it is indeed rail served.  I was thinking it was just over the border.  So that leaves three former Milwaukee Road active rail customers still in the city limits. 

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
According to facebook (so take it for what it's worth) a worker for the Chicago Terminal says that the bridge has been stripped of its wiring and is no longer in service.  General Iron hasn't received a load in over a year.  Sipi is all that is left.  Can't imagine why the CT even exists there any more! 

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
Very sad news.   I know that the scrap metal market has cratered lately. 

Makes me wonder what kind of due diligence Chicago Terminal did in taking over these former Milwaukee Road lines-and why strip the bridge of all of its wiring?  How much could Chicago Terminal have gotten in scrap value?  UP can easily service the once or twice a year shipments Sipi requires. 

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
I should clarify a few more details.  It was stripped of wiring by thieves, NOT the Chicago Terminal.  General Iron allegedly was no longer interested in rail service for some time.  But, according to this individual they may be once again.  Not sure if the link will work but you can try clicking here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chicagolandrailfan/permalink/1047736958598884/?comment_id=1047803145258932&reply_comment_id=1047829565256290&notif_t=group_comment_reply

We'll see what comes of all this.

-Matt

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
I wouldn't think that they would render it useless. Even the Navy Pier line bridge is used once a year.

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Not sure how helpful this info is as I haven't ridden the UPNW line frequently in years, but I did ride it last Friday.  On the spur leading towards Elston, there were 5 empty gondolas.  That to me said they were waiting to be moved to General Iron.  However, that was before I read the updates on this thread.  Corroborating that G.I. hasn't used rail shipments recently is the barge I saw this past Monday.  My office is directly on the south branch of the Chicago River, and a barge floated southbound full of shredded scrap metal.  I don't know of any other scrap yards north on the river besides G.I.  I'll see if I can post there photos shortly.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
There was an article in this week's Crain's Chicago Business about NIMBYs in the Clybourn area pushing to get General Iron Industries removed and have the PMD designation taken away for that area.  They complained of fire(s) at General Iron. 

SIMS Metal Management as far as I can tell still ships out scrap by barge from their site alongside the South Branch of the Chicago River, on Paulina south of Blue Island.  They are/were a rail customer of the BNSF on the Lumber District line but I heard that there is no more rail service on this line to Colonial Brick, Battaglia, the Kramer Foundry, or SIMS-just the Domino Sugar plant. 

See the attached screenshot. 

Jsu

• View Profile