Author Topic: Big Bay - run-down or closed? [EDIT: closed]  (Read 2585 times)

tytrain

• View Profile
Big Bay - run-down or closed? [EDIT: closed]
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:18:09 PM »
I hadn't seen any cars spotted at Big Bay over the past months (to be fair, this may only mean 3-4 visits), and just went on a jog through Goose Island - and Big Bay appears gutted? It looks empty inside and I think walls are missing, there's a dumpster, and no signs of anything I'd consider an active business. I don't want to cry wolf, but it looks pretty desolate. (I just checked old photos on Flickr, and while it looks like it was always a pretty open setup, there was nothing inside today I could see that I wouldn't call "debris")

All the rails on Goose Island look very rusty and there are quite a few weeds on the run-around track just south of the bridge near North Avenue.

Does the Chicago Terminal have any customers left? Is rail service on Goose Island finally over?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:24:18 AM by tytrain »

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Re: Big Bay - run-down or closed?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »
Their website's down but the phone number still works. 

Interesting...

-Matt

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
Re: Big Bay - run-down or closed?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:36:49 AM »
All signs point to closed.  There's this auction site that has all their day-to-day equipment on it: http://auctionhq.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/159/ from September 16, and then there's this short article on Building-Products.com that says they closed after 97 years in business: http://www.building-products.com/September-2015/Chicago-Lumberyard-Closes-Before-Reaching-Century-Mark/

Dangit.  I never got to properly film the moves at Big Bay.  Saw them a couple times accidentally, but never on purpose.

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Big Bay - run-down or closed? [EDIT: closed]
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
Oh no!  The end of rail service on Goose Island I suppose.

Big Bay held on a lot longer than I expected given all of the competition from big box stores. 

Not sure how Chicago Terminal can turn a profit based on these former Milwaukee Road lines now on just General Iron Industries and a rare load for Sipi.

Tough losses in just the last few years with Peerless, Finkl, Morton Salt (off UP), and now Big Bay coming to an end as North Side rail customers. 

Suedehead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
TBurke,

The same thing crossed my mind when reading this sad news. What is actually left and can it possibly be profitable?  I mean, how often is General Iron actually switched out?

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
A look back in time when Goose Island had railroad operations.  I need to pull a few photo out that leaked into this album that were not on Goose Island.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/albums/72157657870065262