Author Topic: Busy engine today  (Read 2963 times)

GM

• View Profile
Busy engine today
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »
Saw the switcher heading out of the North Ave yard delivering two center beam loads of lumber to Big Bay this morning at 9:35 AM. Smoke stack was kicking out a good amount of smoke as it lumbered down the tracks toward Sipi metals. At least there is still action going on.
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Busy engine today
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Thanks for the update. 

Does anyone know why the North Avenue Yard has been mostly vacated?  The few freight cars left are jammed into the stubbed track on the far east where the viaduct goes over Division Street.  It's severed just south of the bridge.

Is UP clearing the land to sell most of it?  I would imagine that they only need a few tracks for the limited amount of business left in that area.

robertmroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »
Only a guess: possibly something to do with rebuilding the North Avenue viaduct? But I've noticed, from the North Avenue bus, the emptiness too, lately, so if someone actually knows...

be well,
bob roman

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
Bob, which viaduct are you referring to?  I take the Metra downtown most day, and I haven't seen any viaducts on this line under reconstruction, but I may have missed something.

robertmroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »
Well, the bridge over North Avenue, then.

The yard is still pretty empty, though I did see the UP loco with a string of cars about even with Stanley's fruit & vegetable market on Monday around 4 PM.

be well,
bob roman

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Passing North Ave yard on Kennedy saw the Chicago Terminal switcher working the yard, moving box cars and cars destined for Morton Salt. Looked like they were doing some of the UP work. The center beam load for Big Bay was in the cut of cars so maybe they were just moving the other freight cars to get at what they needed.

Also there seems to be gondolas off the siding by the first scrap yard on the right when you turn onto Cortland from Elston. Wonder if they have started loading scrap metal from that yard also into gondolas? Would be new freight traffic for them.
GM