Author Topic: Is Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served?  (Read 1876 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Is Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served?
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
Is Sipi Metals no longer rail-served?  I drove past their facility today and the track in the parking lot just south of their main site looks paved over.  Does anyone have any close-up views?

Also, it looked like it had been a long time since there was any train movement to Big Bay judging from the condition of the rails and the junk on the track along Cherry St. 

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
Re: Is Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
I think the answer is yes...sorta.  I've been riding the Metra UPNW line for the past two years to and from work on a daily basis, and for several years before that on the occasionally basis, but this was the first time I can remember seeing a car at Sipi.  This was back on December 17th 2011.  It's not my best photo, but you should be able to see the single gondola, but in curious dressing.  There was a white liner in it, and at least one worker in a white hazmat jumpsuit by it.  My theory is that yes they are still served, but minimally to remove whatever hazardous materials they accumulate over time.  I recently video recorded the tracks through their lot, and yes, the ones leading towards Elston are all paved over.  I hope this photo helps some.

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
Talked with somebody who works for the railroad and he told me that they still spot Sipi Metals, but only once or twice a year.  Hope this helps!

-Matt

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Yes, thanks.