Author Topic: Chicago Tribune Freedom Center Blocking and Switching Location?  (Read 1300 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Chicago Tribune Freedom Center Blocking and Switching Location?
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
Last Thursday I drove past the yard used to store boxcars for the Tribune's Freedom Center just off Grand Avenue.  It was completely empty to my surprise.  Has the blocking and switching moved to the North Avenue Yard?  I would think that now the Tribune is also printing the Chicago Sun-Times (and the local editions of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times) that business would be up for UP at the Freedom Center.

I did notice two hoppers on the ground level spur outside of Blommer Chocolate which is encouraging.

On a sad note, I heard that the Sun-Times could not find any buyers for its printing presses at its relatively new plant it closed recently on the South Side.  Instead they are going to be sold for scrap.  This plant just opened in 2001...

haggar

• View Profile
Re: Chicago Tribune Freedom Center Blocking and Switching Location?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
Yes, everything is blocked at North Ave. Yard.  Half of the tracks have been torn out of Grand Ave. Yard and I usually find it empty.  Think there might be 4 tracks left.  Sometimes find them switching around 10 a.m. or so.  Several times I've seen them leave the empties and return in the afternoon to retrieve them.  Other times the cars have remained overnight.  Never seems to be a set pattern.
As for Blommer, I've seen two moves done within one day.  Also have seen hoppers sitting alone in Grand Ave. Yard.  Just the other day they pulled all the tank cars that have been sitting on the old Sun Times lead.

Joe   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:37:13 PM by haggar »