Author Topic: Looking for Photos of Glenview, IL, LOCAL Milwaukee Road Freight Operations  (Read 2826 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Hi-

I am researching a forthcoming article on the Milwaukee Road's local freight operations in Glenview, IL, for The Milwaukee Railroader.  I am looking for photos of the MILW switching local industries in Glenview which at one time included Rugen Hardware, Hines Lumber, Baxter Labs, Lutter Brick, and Glenview Materials among others.  I have checked Flikr and found a couple that show freight cars in the background plus a good aerial photo. 

I found a few photos also at the Glenview History Center but they do not show actual trains working the industries on the spurs-just empty spur tracks for the most part.

Does anyone know of any good photos they can link me to?

Thanks
Tom
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:24:39 AM by TBurke »

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
That looks like it could be a difficult search.  This is all I know of:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milwaukeeroadproject/16021243647/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eje665/5607477147/

Good luck!

-Matt

TBurke

• View Profile
Thanks Matt. 

I found the aerial photo you linked to and sent a message via Flikr to the person running that project asking for permission to use it.  I suspect that these photos in his collection are from the work of professional photographer McCoy who was hired by the MILW to photograph its lines and customers over two decades. 

Looking at the aerial photo from 1963 you can see Glenview Material Company with the spurs that have hoppers with aggregates in them.  Just south on the "main" spur is the Rassenfoss Bag Company with the boxcars alongside.  Farther south the spur continued almost to Glenview Road and it serviced a Hines Lumber yard. 

The other photo is of static railroad cars used to train firefighters.

Tom

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
I would love to see this operation as well. I grew up in Glenview; hanging around that area in the late 70s/early 80s, I was (unsurprisingly) very fascinated by the remnants of the freight spur embedded in the pavement in front of Rugen's meat market. Wish I had taken some pics (how many times have all of us said that...)