Author Topic: Longest train seen on Kingsbury district...  (Read 2088 times)

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
Longest train seen on Kingsbury district...
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
What has been the longest train seen in this area? The longest I\'ve seen is about 30-40 cars...This was when Azko Salts was still open...Covered hoppers combined with the scrap cars from General Iron...This was in the early 90s when the trains originated/terminated in Bensonville yard via Bloomingdale line...Now with Peerless closed or about to close,then with the closing of Finkl,how long are the trains nowadays,1-3 cars?

Cway

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
A former Milwaukee Road employee I know who worked on Goose Island said that as recently as the 1960s trains would stretch from the Division Street yard all the way up to C&E Junction on Kingbury just south of Cortland.  They were assembled for the transfer runs back to the Galewood Yard via the Bloomingdale Line.  The transfer crews used to get annoyed at such super long trains and having to pull them back.

The longest trains I saw were in the early 1990s when AKZO Salt/International Salt received strings of carloads of salt in covered hoppers  Typically some 20 cars would be pulled behind a Soo Line GP-9.  GP-9s were used in place of MP-15s from what I recall, potentially due to their better pulling power for long trains.  Frequently a white Soo Line caboose was also used for the backup moves.  At that time there were several customer on Goose Island that still received freight cars including Waste Management, the team tracks at Hickory and Division Streets, Big Bay, International Salt, and National By-Products.

Another very long train movement took place in November of 1996 when the Ringling Bros. circus train was parked on Kingsbury between North and Halsted, stretching the entire length.  There are pictures of this train elsewhere on this site.  A Soo Line caboose was at the southern end near Halsted.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »
I had to mention this since I saw Peerless mention......my buddy that works out at Elk Grove.....the President of the Chicago Terminal Railroad came out an visited Elk Grove on wednesday.....he mentioned that Peerless has enough cars ordered to keep them open for bussiness until mabey october-ish.....but the big issue is something with the lease on the building.......