Author Topic: Photo: Kingsbury South of North Ave.  (Read 1961 times)

themats

• View Profile
Photo: Kingsbury South of North Ave.
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Don't know if this one has been posted or not on the board, but I just came across it on Lou Gerard's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5632/6258899387/in/photostream

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Photo: Kingsbury South of North Ave.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Good catch.  The train crew is switching Midwest Zinc.

Other photos of Midwest Zinc being switched and with a boxcar on its spur three years after the Flikr photo are at

http://www.chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/articlelisting.asp?locationid=3

History of Midwest Zinc is also included.

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
I think it was back in mid to late 90s, the ABC 7 mid-day news intro had a clip of that SOO 2550 with the switchman.  Tried searching on youtube but haven't found anything yet.  Will post if I do.

Joe

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
Are you thinking of that TV news clip that talked about the "candy train" that ran up to Peerless and showed the little kid waving at it?  I recall seeing a grainy version somewhere, maybe on YouTube, it was obviously made from a VHS tape. 

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:46:50 AM »
Tom,
I did see that too Peerless run, it was on the "190 North" show.  If you go to the web site you can search old shows and I think the episode was called Sweethome Chicago.  The Soo switcher was white with the large black "SOO" and had the red cab.  I emailed them asking for a copy twice and never got a response.
I used to work the night shift and would always catch the midday news on channel 7.  The intro had the showed the front of a red Soo loco with the white speedlettering logo and had the brakeman in front waving to the camera.  Looked like it was on Kingsbury or Cherry.  Wish I had taped it.

Joe 

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
Joe-

I remember that show Sweet Home Chicago but rarely watched it since I worked days so I never saw that episode.  If you ever find that video which I would like to see post the link. 

BTW Tom Mann has several videos I sent him including spending the first two days with the Chicago Terminal crew on the locomotive where I was able to record the action.  He also has another video I sent him from 2002 showing a train working its way past the Lakeshore Athletic Club and the crew working Peerless.  Hopefully he will put them up soon. 

Tom