Author Topic: Chicago Terminal Railroad, former CIRY and general Chicago urban switching!  (Read 1973 times)

Niall

• View Profile
Hi there guys, I'm wondering if you can help me. I'm sure it has been mentioned/discussed before but I was looking for up-to-date info on the Chicago Terminal and the BNSF Lumber/Pilsen area street running.

We live in Scotland and are making our first visit to the USA next week; 10 days in Chicago! One of the many sights we're trying to see (more for me than my wife I have to confess!) is street running/switching in Chicago. I'd love to see switching of the Tribune plant by UP, as well as Bloomer chocolate. Isn't there urban switching done by NS for newspapers too?

My main goal is to see the CTR on Goose Island, and possibly BNSF on the former CIRY in Pilsen district.

I realise these trains are difficult to predict, but does anyone have any idea of when the CTR on Goose Island may run? Or when BNSF might serve industries on the CIRY? In fact does anyone have up-to-date info on any of these switching areas, and possible trains running?

My apologies for all the questions! Can't wait of course to see simply big US railroads but I'd love to see some street switching!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Niall :)

TBurke

• View Profile
Chicago Terminal used to operate on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but know it seems to be more on an "as needed" basis. 

Have you seen this video of the last days of the Central Illinois in Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBNdDSO3TGw

Go to 9:22 and you can see them switching out the Battaglia Distributing warehouse. 

At 2:05 the video shows the crew switching out the Kramer foundry.  As of last winter it did not appear that Kramer had any rail service in a long time. 

Colonial Brick at the far eastern end of the line gets deliveries of boxcars from the BNSF.

haggar

• View Profile
Niall,
Don't know if there are set days, but UP usually switches Tribune and the lower level of Blommer around 10 a.m.  Only other move I can help with would be switching of the ADM Mill by NS near Racine Avenue; but this is usually around 10 p.m. so not good for pics.  I've seen the trackmobile shuffling cars early morning, maybe 8 to 9 a.m.

Joe