Author Topic: Erie Railroads\'s carfloat op on Kingsbury/Erie  (Read 2374 times)

djohanns

• View Profile
Erie Railroads\'s carfloat op on Kingsbury/Erie
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »

I stumbled upon this scanned article along with pictures showing the Erie Railroad\'s carfloat operation at Kingsbury and Erie st, and the one at Webster st.

File can be found here:
www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/articles/ra-v63-n18b.pdf

For some reason it doesn\'t display correctly using Preview in MacOS, but works fine using Adobe Acrobat.

Has anyone seen a track diagram of the site?  I looked up Sanborn maps of the area to see if they showed this facilty, but the ones I found were either too early (~ 1905) or too late (1940s - 1950s).

Does anyone know the details of any sort of interchange with the Milw at Kingsbury/Erie?

Dan J.
Evanston, IL

robertmroman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »
Absolutely fascinating, though the writing style is definitely pompous business-speak.

Note the \"gasolene\" engine. Also note the incidental story about the collection of money to send tobacco to the troops in Europe, an obscure bit of history there.

Very interesting. Thanks.

be well,
bob roman

Charlie S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Also note that this PDF is SECURED and will only view.  It will not print out or edit.  Acrobat needs the \"key\" from the file\'s creator to manipulate the file other than screen viewing in Acrobat or Reader.

If you need a hard-copy, you could piece together multiple screen grabs, I suppose.

Very interesting article.

Charlie

MLW North Line Fan since 1954
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:06:06 AM by Charlie S »
MLW North Line Fan since 1954

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
Some good finds about this overlooked operation.  I also write about the Erie/Milwaukee Road interchange via the carfloat operation in the book The Milwaukee Road in Chicago on page 31 in a sidebar.  Ironically it took place at Erie Avenue and the river.  It was abandoned in 1935.

Two other sources to check out are \"The Diamond\" magazine, volume 7, put out by the Erie Lackawana Historical Society and \"Railroading Along the Waterfront\" published by Walthers in 1997.  Both include photos of the Erie carfloat operation while \"The Diamond\" article includes a detailed track diagram including the interchange track with the Milwaukee Road and the small Erie Railroad yard.