Author Topic: Freight Traffic  (Read 42257 times)

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 10:53:03 PM »
Just by hearing the description it sounds like it\'s a rail-grinder.  Does this look familiar:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1065688

Hope that helps and thanks for the updates!

-Matt

ray gerard

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »
it looked very similar to the picture
must\'ve been a rail-grinder

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
As of today (6/18) around 10:30AM there were almost no cars in the North Avenue yard except for a few covered hoppers that were probably for Morton Salt.  Two AOK gondolas were on Chicago Terminal tracks near the connection to the Bloomingdale Line.  A CT train was heading east over the Chicago River bridge.  

Trackwork had the outbound Northwest Line Metra train using the right-hand track which caused some confusion in loading passengers at the Clybourn Station.

gordg3

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »
I visited the CTR on Friday, July 16. Engine and a CP engine 547 (if I recall correctly) were in North Avenue yard. Empty flat car parked to the north. Didn\'t see any cars east of the river (didn\'t check Sipi). I posted a few track pictures at: http://www.pbase.com/gordg3/chicago_terminal_railroad&page=all Is the any good time to see the engine making deliveries on the east side of the river?

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Nice photos, especially the rare shot of the Sipi Metals spur being worked.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
Went by the North Ave Yard on the Kennedy last night about 8:00 PM and saw Chgo Terminal Engine with the side door open having some maintenance work done by an employee. Cab Light was on, must have just got back from delivering or picking up some cars. The Union Pacific engine was not yet tied up for the night.

GM
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
The Sipi spur had an empty gondola parked in it yesterday, August 12.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
This past Sunday I passed by Finkl. There were quite a few gondola carloads of scrap metal(at least 5)loads. Factory seems to be busy lately.

GM
GM

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »
I walked down North Avenue yesterday, Tuesday 2/15. The North Avenue yard had about a dozen gondolas waiting to be picked up by the UP, plus an empty center beam flat car. The latter got my attention. After the blizzard, I took the North Avenue bus a couple of times. As of late last week, the line to Goose Island had not been used. I was wondering how Chicago Terminal was handling the snow and at least for Goose Island it seemed they were waiting for it to melt. Sure enough, when I crossed the river, there were clear, muddy signs that a train had passed through. And the snow had pretty much melted away.
be well,
bob roman

gordg3

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
I took a trip along the CTR today. Unfortunately the new terminus of the Lakewood Branch is now just south of Altgeld Street. The tracks have been paved over (street and sidewalk). I was always hoping to see some action like during the fall of 2009 when several hoppers were placed on the Peerless spur. Photo at: http://www.pbase.com/gordg3/image/133707039
Saw an empty car just west of General Iron. That was about it today. Didn\'t check out Sipi. The City is also repaving Wabansia Avenue east of Elston Avenue so any track left is no more.

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Passed by the North Ave. yard going downtown on the Kennedy. The UP engine was backed out on the spur and the Chicago Terminal engine was firing up. It was throwing a lot of white smoke out of it\'s stack, so much it was coming across the highway. Needs to see more use so firing it up isn\'t such a big deal. They need to get some more customers receiving/sending shipments on Goose Island. Household Chemicals and Computer Recycling Facility would be the type of business that would need to ship out dangerous chemicals, Bishop Box, Restaurant Depot warehouse,Republic windows, Waste Mngmt. With Finkl leaving and Goose Island still a business area as opposed to something slated for residential that is the area to look at.

GM
GM

robertmroman

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »
Yeah, that would be nice and would cut down on the truck traffic, too. But a siding of one\'s own is a substantial investment. Possibly if the business asked nicely, they could get some TIF money for it, assuming it\'s in a TIF district.

Or CTR could lengthen the mid-island siding so that it could be used as  a team track; it looks like there\'s space for it. But, in their shoes, I wouldn\'t do it unless I had a commitment for its use by some of the island businesses. I wonder if they have anyone working as a salesman / community liaison; small businesses are frequently short-staffed.

But another concern would be replacing Finkl with another rail customer. I\'m inclined to doubt that Finkl would sell to another metallurgical firm, but maybe some manner of warehouse/transshipping operation might work. But the surrounding community will have a say in the matter, so someone to wear that salesman / community liaison hat at least part-time would be real useful.

It\'ll be interesting to see how quickly Finkl makes the move. My guess is they\'ll be there for maybe a year.

be well,
bob roman

GM

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
GM

Charlie S

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »
Yep.  South end of the re-habed Goose Is. MILW Rd. bridge Z-2, looking North.

Chuck

MLW North Line Fan since 1954
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:09:08 PM by Charlie S »
MLW North Line Fan since 1954

raisin

• View Profile
Freight Traffic
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
Several cars at Finkl along Cortland Street this weekend.  No sign of any action at Big Bay or anywhere else.