Author Topic: Freight Update  (Read 2262 times)

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
Freight Update
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »
Hey guys!
I took a trip to Goose Island and the Freedom Center, and found some interesting stuff:
At Big Bay Lumber, there were TWO parked boxcars in the middle of the road.
Also, there were 10 parked newsprint cars in the Trib. yard today.. they dont usually leave them over the weekends.
Didnt have time to check Blommer or Finkl. But-- I did take some photos of the other sites!
check 'em out here: www.flickr.com/photos/uspslabelfan

Suedehead

• View Profile
Re: Freight Update
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
Thank you for the update and pictures.  It is nice to hear that there is some freight activity on goose island.  Let's hope that it continues in the future!

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
It's amazing that Big Bay Lumber has lasted so long against the onslaught of the big box competitors like nearby Home Depot.  The big box stores like Menards and Home Depot have crushed most local competitors that had rail service-Siegel's is one example with rail service to multiple suburban locations. 

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
True... But I'm guessing the rail service to Big Bay will go the same way as Peerless' service did, probably within the next decade. :(
((We must railfan while we can!))  ;)

Also, does anyone know why C.T.R.R doesnt use the available spur that leads into Big Bay to park the rail car(s), and instead just uses the middle of the street for them??

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
Seeing a lot of more box cars in North Ave yard lately. Printing must be increasing at Freedom Plant for Tribune now that they're printing the Sun Times also.
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
I believe that they also print the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal at the Freedom Center under contract. 

To answer the question about Big Bay and why they do not use the spur that goes into their property my guess is that they do not have room inside their yard anymore.  It's easier for their forklift to access the flatcars in the street. 

I've been following the action on Goose Island since 1985 and I have never seen Big Bay use that spur. 

Here's a picture from 2000 of the switch for the spur into Big Bay being cleared of ice. 

http://chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/article.asp?articleid=10