Author Topic: 606 trail extension  (Read 2122 times)

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
606 trail extension
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: 606 trail extension
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
Hi,

An update on the inevitable:

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/9/9/12856374/606-trail-lincoln-park-exetension-planned-sterling-bay

-Matt

Thanks for the update Matt.  Not sure how they plan on crossing the busy Metra/UP tracks.  I doubt UP would give permission for a bike/hike trail to cross at grade and with the Kennedy Expressway overpass there is no real headroom for a pedestrian bridge that would span the tracks.  Then there's the issue of the North Branch of the Chicago River being designated a navigable waterway by the Army Corps of Engineers in that location so the bridge could not be kept open and blocking potential river traffic. 

But still, I prefer to see the corridor preserved vs. chopped up and subdivided.  I wish this new extension would honor the railroad heritage more than the existing 606 Trail does where there are no markers or relics of its railroad heritage on the elevated stretches unlike New York City's High Line. 

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
I don't understand how they would get over the Metra tracks either. I can see the swing bridge being used the same way the Cherry Ave bridge is used and a trail going all the way to Goose Island. 

http://www.smapapp.com/Community.aspx?CommunityID=3a7cf3dd-f56a-42dc-b65c-2e3bf42e1946

Looking at the link in the article I noticed a rail to rail point on Chicago near Halstead saying the Tribune printing facility will be redeveloped. Will the Tribune and Blommer no longer be rail serviced?

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
The Tribune is selling surplus land north of Chicago Avenue and will continue to publish at the Freedom Center.  They print not only the Tribune but also the Sun-Times and local versions of the Wall Street Journal and NY Times as I understand under contract.