Author Topic: Mariano's at Ashland and Webster  (Read 12 times)

raisin

• View Profile
Mariano's at Ashland and Webster
« on: April 30, 2024, 02:34:38 PM »
Hi all,

When I was a DePaul student in the 90's, I seem to remember that there were railroad tracks crossing Ashland where the entrance to the Mariano's parking lot now is, heading in the direction
of the industrial area across the street. Now that I'm back in Lincoln Park, I see the tracks are now gone. But, I don't even see where they would've connected to the UP-N tracks.

There is a pretty solid and high wall between the Mariano's and the UP-N line. But, they must have had a connection there, right? Or am I dreaming the whole thing? :)

Thanks, all.

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Mariano's at Ashland and Webster
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 09:12:58 PM »
A Chicago & North Western track did come off what is now the Metra/UP North Line and it crossed Ashland Avenue, curving gradually to the southeast. It came down a fairly steep ramp from the east side of the North Line. It then curved even more south and went down Mendell Street, ending at Cortland. I used to walk that way every day during the summer of 1981 to and from the Clybourn station to a job at Stewart-Warner on Diversey and Hermitage and cross those tracks. As I recall back then it serviced a scrapyard at the NE side of Ashland and Mendell.

You can see it on www.historicaerials.com especially in the 1963 aerial view where there are at least two freight cars on this line. The topographic view shows the tracks still in place in 1984.

raisin

• View Profile
Re: Mariano's at Ashland and Webster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 12:59:45 PM »
Thanks, sir!