Author Topic: "Carroll Ave." Featured in Recent Article in Skyline..  (Read 1512 times)

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
"Carroll Ave." Featured in Recent Article in Skyline..
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »
Picked up a copy of the Skyline newspaper today--and what should be on the front page but part of an article on Carroll Ave!! Thought of this website instantly. Here's a link to the online version of the artice: http://www.skylinenewspaper.com/News/06-27-2012/Beneath_the_surface
Enjoy!
                                                 -TribuneFreightFanatic

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: "Carroll Ave." Featured in Recent Article in Skyline..
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Good catch, thanks for putting up the link.

The fences and gates that block Carroll Avenue underneath the Apparel Center and the Merchandise Mart went up immediately after 9/11 as I recall as a security precaution. 

About ten years ago several of us were able to walk Carroll Avenue from Franklin Street east to Lower Michigan Avenue, passing underneath the Quaker Oats and Sun-Times buildings.  What I found interesting was railroad crossing signs facing the alleys that led down into Carroll Avenue.  A ramp that came down from the river side actually had warning lights also but it had not been used in decades.  It had a spooky feeling in the subsurface areas with dim lighting.  Doug Kaniuk, if you are reading this post, please submit one or two of your photos from that walk.  I know you took a lot of pictures then. 

I walked it the first time in the 1980s and you can see my black & white photos from that trip on the Navy Pier line section of this site.  I used an Instamatic at the time so the picture quality is not the best but you can still see the remains of other spurs. 

I am a little surprised that the writer of the article does not mention that Carroll Avenue continues west of the river also in bits and pieces, though it more resembles an alley.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:03:51 AM by TBurke »