Author Topic: Tracks near the Brickyard  (Read 3130 times)

chrism

• View Profile
Tracks near the Brickyard
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
Hi, new to this site. I really enjoy all the pics and info. I remeber as a kid seeing a locomotive passing Diversey near the brickyard by Narragasset. The tracks at one time ran past Addison. I seen and old map with tracks running through Irving. The tracks are long gone but I can still see the remnants. Does anybody have any info or pics about these tracks or trains? Ive heard they were for the infamous Dunning assylum. They seemed more industrial based from what I remember as a kid.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
chrism:

The tracks you refer to are part of the former Milwaukee Road Dunning Line which went to the Chicago State Hospital north of Irving Park Rd.  The line started at a connection with the Milwaukee Road\'s West Line across from the Mars plant, west of Narragansett.

This hospital complex went by various names over the years including Chicago-Read.  

Trains delivered coal to its powerplant along with food and other goods.  There were a number of other customers along the Dunning Line-including the brickyard-not the shopping center named after it, but the actual brickyard and clay pit-but as customers faded away, converted to truck delivery, etc., the Dunning Line was gradually cut back.   In 1969 it was severed at Roscoe to service Kimbell Candy, then in the early 1980s at Diversey.

The last customer the Dunning Line was/is Chicago Steel & Die just south of Diversey.  A tail track was left in place to the north of Diversey for trains to back down the spur.  

My book \"The Milwaukee Road in Chicago\" includes a chapter on the Dunning Line with maps and photos if you would like more information.

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
TBurke:
 Can you provide a link so I can purchase a copy of the book? I did a google search seen different copies.
It must have been the very early 1980s when I last seen it cross Diversey. I did see a locomotive cross Grand or at least come up very close to it. This was on a Saturday afternoon when I was shopping with my family. It must have been mid to late 1980s. I don\'t remeber exactly. It was weird to see track in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Maybe that\'s why it stuck with me so much. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:54:29 PM by chrism »

shawnmutant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
Chris M ...try this link to the Milwaukee Road Historical Association ...from the company store link you can order a copy of this fine book.  It is well worth the twenty (incredibly cheap) bucks, especially if you like to look at old pictures of Chicago....Many of the shots in the book are crispy B&Ws aerial photoghraphs that include the surrounding areas along the RR\'s right of way.  Of course many of us are here because we also enjoy one of the remaining segments of the old MILW as it is still in operation from just east of I-94 to Kinsgbury street /Goose Island....although it has changed names several times and has withered itself of most industries as the area has changed in use over the years.  Anyhoo it\'s all in the book  Enjoy!

http://www.mrha.com/

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »
From an earlier post by Haggar, here is a shot of a Milwaukee Road train on the Dunning Line at Diversey Avenue on Davidson\'s Flikr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwdavidson/3913052227/in/set-72157621126657535/

Des Plaines Hobby had a stack of \"The Milwaukee Road in Chicago\" for sale the last time I was in there a few weeks ago.

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
Thanks for this pic, brings back memories. Des Plaines hobby is not too far from me. I\'m closer to the on in Franklin Park on Franklin.