Author Topic: track removal Fulton Market area  (Read 2172 times)

haggar

• View Profile
track removal Fulton Market area
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »
Not exactly northside, but I live in the west Loop and noticed that out of service tracks are being removed on the Milw line at Racine and May streets.  Not sure if they\'re going to remove the lines at Morgan going into the cold storage warehouse, I\'ll update if I see anything. Just bought Tom Burke\'s excellent book \"The Milwaukee Road in Chicago\".  There are some great old aerial photos that illustrate just how busy this area once was with freight traffic.

Joe

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
Haggar-

Thank you for the compliment on the book.  It was fun researching and writing it.  

Sorry to hear that even more remnants are being torn out along Carroll Avenue between May and Racine.  At least the ADM plant a few blocks to the west is still rail served-but for who knows how long?

My only regret is that I didn\'t get more photos during the 1980s when things were slipping away so quickly in terms of the freight lines and rail-served customers covered by this website.

Tom

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »
According to a posting in our mail room, the Morgan street rails are going to get the axe as well.  And yes Tom, thankfully ADM is still there.  I live right by it and enjoy watching the switch job; can\'t say that the motorist feel the same way though.

Joe

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »
Saw them laying the new concrete in the street where the rails use to go into the building this morning. All evidence gone except for the doors themselves which are large enough to show boxcars once went inside.

GM
GM

Chooch1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:14:02 PM »
Someone who lives in the vicinity of the ADM plant may want to photo document the rail switching activity there. You never know how much longer the plant will be there. The plant appears old and not all that well maintained.

D. Kaniuk

• View Profile
    • http://www.dhke.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
Check the SCHS web site:
http://www.dhke.com/schs/schs801.htm