Author Topic: N-scale roof water tanks - source?  (Read 5794 times)

linton12

• View Profile
N-scale roof water tanks - source?
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »
Hello all,

I\'m a new member to the group. I am in the process of planning a small N-scale switching layout based on the Chicago area. The signature industry is drawn from the Blommer Chocolate factory.

I have been looking at pictures of Bill Denton\'s and Tom Burke\'s layouts with great interest. The one feature that really stands out to me is the water tanks on top of a number of their buildings.

Can anyone suggest a source of these? Or how to scratchbuild them?

I find this a very valuable site.

Thanks to those who created it and currently support it.

I also really like the pics taken along the Bloomingdale line that show the viaducts. I am including one of those on my layout.

Tks.

Clif Linton
Alameda, CA
Clif Linton
Alameda, CA

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »

Blommer is one of my favorite factories because it is in such a unique position.  First, it\'s the only industry I have ever seen that is served by two different divisions of the same railroad on two different levels.  The upper level spur that receives granulated sugar is located on the Illinois Division, and the street-level spur for cocoa beans is on the Wisconsin division--at right angles to each other, no less!  Plus, where else do you pass freight cars spotted at factories just before disappearing inside of a major passenger terminal?

Sounds like you\'ve got a good chance to take some modeler\'s license if you want (as I did)--just to avoid building North Western Station.  Folks here are always interested in nitpicking....er, commenting....on others\' work so we\'d love to follow your progress.

Some of the Walthers N scale kits include water towers, like American Hardware.  Some of the modular kits like Empire Leather include water towers, but I couldn\'t find them separately in the on-line catalog.  I had extra parts for a wooden water tower, and I wrapped it with thin styrene and added bands of styrene strip to make it look like a metal water tower.  Little things like that will help stretch the few kits you can get your hands on.

Let us know how things work out.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:46:36 PM »
I too raided some Walthers kits to get the water towers-I think it was the furniture factory that was most useful.  Another good kit to get is the Baldwin Locomotive Works on Fire.  It has one of the only sources of arched, N-scale window frames set in brick walls.  

The Blommer Chocolate complex uses a Trackmobile on the upper level to move cars around.  There should be a picture taken of it from a Metra train (as close as you can on the viaduct level get without being arrested).

I haven\'t seen railcars on the lower level in some time though the vaulted track is fairly new.  Mostly trucks parking across it.

Good luck!

linton12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I\'ll try to get some pictures soon. Right now the layout looks like the plains, yep, the great blue plains.

Clif Linton
Alameda, CA
Clif Linton
Alameda, CA

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:37:45 AM »
Clif:

I meant to say that there is a picture on this website of the Trackmobile parked on the Blommer upper level spur taken by me from a Metra train.  There are also photos of the lower levels.

Tom