Author Topic: Another One Bites the Dust-Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served  (Read 3342 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Another One Bites the Dust-Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
This morning I did a sweep of the Chicago Terminal area and went over to Besly Ct. and Wabansia and noticed that Sipi Metals no longer has rail service.  Their spur that went through their parking lot is paved over and a fence replaces the gate that once allowed access to the spur. Plus recent rebuilding of the streets removed most of the former MILW tracks that once went down Wabansia to the west of Elston.

Makes me wonder how economically viable Chicago Terminals operations in this area will be with the loss of Finkl Steel, Peerless Confectionery, and now Sipi?  Sipi at best only received an occasional carload in the CP Rail days but that was at least something positive. 

On another note why would an industry like Sipi deliberately cut off rail access and therefore make itself totally dependent upon trucking? 

Suedehead

• View Profile
Re: Another One Bites the Dust-Sipi Metals No Longer Rail Served
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »
What a shame...

After I read your post, I examined Google maps of the area that you were in.  It looks like the rail access has been cut off to Sipi for quite some time now.  The satellite view already shows the fence blocking the rails and the paving that you mentioned.  I too am also confused as to why the business would make it difficult to resume any type of rail service in the future.  It seems like companies are so quick to abandon their rail service these days, as if they can see into the future and know for certain that it will not make financial sense as a shipping option.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
I ride the Metra NW line on occasion and I could swear that the gate was there until recently but you are right that the updated Google maps shows a fence and not a gate across the tracks.  Even before it was paved over it was hard to see the tracks since they were flush with the asphalt surface which you could see from the sidewalk along Besly. 

Hard to believe it is more economical to receive scrap metal by truck than rail.

I found this image on WBEZ's website while doing a search on Besly Court.  Another reason to use rail and not trucks on these narrow city streets and alleys.  These super long trucks are a problem.

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »
Found a gondola on spur in parking lot leading to Sipi.  Gate was open in chain link fence and I figured track went through.  Looking at Google maps, I now see that track ends at the fence.  Have not seen a car there in a long time.

Joe

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
Beat me to it!  Saw that as well!  There was also another tarp covered gon in the yard (in fact, the ONLY car in the yard) which I would presume is from them!  So much for my annual trip to Chicago! 

-Matt

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
Thanks guys for the update.  It's a relief that Sipi is still a rail customer.

From their website about precious metals it's no wonder that they keep their loads behind fences with a security post nearby. Gold, silver, and platinum.

http://www.sipimetals.com/#!company/c20r9

Suedehead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
So where is this car actually spotted at?  I thought the spur was taken over by the parking lot.

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »
The car was spotted right in the parking lot.

Joe