Author Topic: New Shortline Operator for North Side Lines!  (Read 2382 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
New Shortline Operator for North Side Lines!
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
The rumor has been circulating for over a year, but it appears official now that a new shortline operator will be taking over the former Milwaukee Road freight lines on Chicago\'s North Side effective January 1, 2007.  According to a posting today on the Surface Transportation Board website, the Chicago Terminal Railroad intends to take over the lines now operated by CP Rail/Soo Line.  Go to www.stb.dot.gov for details.

I interpret this move as good news for preserving rail service on these lines.  They must be profitable for a private company to want to take them over-or even expand service.

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:58:34 PM »
With this being said,what are the chances of rail services picking up in this area...I remember a lot of action in the Goose Island area when I was younger. But then before you know it,Proctor and Gamble was torn down,Plibico doesn\'t recieve rail service anymore(might be closed down),etc...

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:17:15 PM »
Just wondering why the UP wouldn\'t end up serving the old Milwaukee Road line (Goose/Lakewood) since their yard now has access to the area? I assume trackage rights and maybe they figure it is not worth their while with not too many customers but still they work Morton Salt, Prarie Matierials, Tribune and some others in the area so it still seems like a good fit? I have noticed the yard off the Kennedy off of Elston & North quite full these days. Seems like a good sign for local freight jobs.

GM
GM