Author Topic: Temple Steel Crains Article  (Read 2227 times)

GM

• View Profile
Temple Steel Crains Article
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:44:38 AM »
Following article is from Crains concerning Temple Steel moving into Chicago from Libertyville with 350 jobs.. This will probably lead to rail service from the UP where it once existed from the CNW, although there are new buildings including Montesorri school that effect where the spur once came in.

Seems they would have been better served taking over the Finkl Steel complex which has the space and rail to serve their needs. When I first saw the title of the article I thought that was the plan, too bad it would have filled the gap left by Finkl nicely.

Steel company to move 350 jobs from suburbs to city
By: Alby Gallun Aug. 21, 2008
(Crain’s) — Tempel Steel Co. plans to shut down a factory in Libertyville and move more than 350 jobs there to a plant it is expanding on Chicago’s North Side.

Tempel, which makes steel laminations for electric motors and transformers, will receive as much $7 million in incentives from the city and state to enlarge its operations at 5500 N. Wolcott Ave., according to a news release from World Business Chicago, a local economic development group.

The Chicago-based company had considered moving the jobs to a plant in Mexico, but decided instead to add on to its Chicago factory, which currently employs about 450 people.

“Although we have an investment in manufacturing in Monterrey, Mexico, our decision to keep important manufacturing operations in Chicago reflects on the City’s ability to provide Tempel with the talent to fill nearly 800 premium manufacturing jobs in an expanded, advanced, centrally located facility, so we can best meet the needs of our customers around the world,” Vincent Buonanno, Tempel’s chairman and CEO, said in the release.

Comments
Let\'s see now, Tempel is going to squeeze a 177,000 sq. ft. plant…

Read more…

Anything that can be done to keep Manufacturing jobs not only in…

Read more…

Read All Comments (2)

Make a Comment
 You May Also Like    
Man of steelFrom malls to steel plantsLetters to the editorBarrington, other suburbs oppose railroad\'s planNorthwest suburbs get 2 big leasesSuggested Searches    
chicago - suburbs - steel plantsSponsored by  Tempel generates more than $500 million in annual revenue and employs about 2,000 people worldwide, with operations in Canada, Mexico, India and China. The company expects to complete the expansion of its Chicago plant by next July.

Tempel is still working out the details of its incentive package with the city and state, but the company is eligible for the Enterprise Zone Program, Class 6b Real Estate Tax incentives and New Market and EDGE tax credits, according to the release.

As part of the move, Tempel will close its 177,000-square-foot factory at 2200 Tempel Drive in Libertyville.

GM
GM

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
ooh how cool would that be.  :)  They wouldn\'t really run freight again on that busy Metra line would they?

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
I remember back in the early 90s during noontime hours hearing the bells of the engine as it entered the Temple Steel facility...It\'s a bloody shame that they removed the spur and grade crossings. I\'m not sure,but I think that the crossbuck is still there...I also remember gondolas being stored on a couple tracks behind Hines lumber which was next to Temple steel. Last time I looked,there is some kind of building on the lot. I\'m not sure if the tracks are still intact,but last summer driving by, I saw some MOW equipment over there...

One more thing, driving by Temple Steel,it looks like there is a track in the middle of the facility. Does anybody remember seeing any freight cars on it?

Cway