Author Topic: Peerless Confection  (Read 1960 times)

SteveN

• View Profile
Peerless Confection
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:34:24 AM »
Hello,

Can anyone describe the operations of the Peerless Confection Co. specifically during the 70's? From the pictures I've seen, I always thought it was an interesting industry with modeling potential.  My plans are to model a proto freelance shelf switching layout in HO scale based on the Milwaukee Rd.  While it seemed as though EMD power was the norm for this line, I plan to use a Fairbanks Morse H10-44 and currently a transfer caboose ( I like their looks coupled together ).  I assume that the Tangent Dry Flo Covered Hoppers would work for accurate cars for inbound sugar?  I don't have a clue on corn syrup tank cars so I could use a little help on what to look for. 

On a side note, there is mention in the Chicago book by MRHA on page 33-34 that showed that in 1979, Peerless only received 21 carloads for that particular year. It later goes on to say that in 1985, Peerless received anywhere from 1-3 carloads twice a week which equals to about 6 million pounds of both sugar and corn syrup a year.  So with that said, was 1985 an above average year for Peerless? Even at the low end at 1 car, twice a week; that equals over 100 cars for the year.  A much more impressive number compared to the 1979 numbers. 

The majority of pictures I've seen of the railroad operations of Peerless are during the Soo era.  None the less they showed a tank car along with a dry-flo covered hopper car.  Am I correct in assuming that this was also a common consist for the Milwaukee?  Was Peerless only able to take in 1 of each car at a time?  Or were there multiple doors for more than 1 car of each type?  And finally was Peerless able to unload the car's contents all at one time into the building or did they unload as the production warranted? As mentioned above, I assume this was a twice a week operation? And finally, was there a time where only sugar was delivered or has there always been a need for corn syrup?

Eventually I would like to model the other nearby industries.  But for now, I'm just interested in the Peerless operations and their relationship with the Milwaukee.

Thanks

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Peerless Confection
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »
I am not aware of the Milwaukee Road ever using FM locomotives on the North Side lines in Chicago.  In the diesel era they used SW-series switchers then moved to MP15s. 

SteveN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »
I’m just using the Peerless factory as a prototype to get ideas from and apply it to a layout.

I’ve always liked the FM’s. Something about them. Just working with what I got at the moment. With that said, I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on an EMD locomotive, but they are hard to find.... especially the MP15’s.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
Fairbanks Morse units might have been used on transfer runs to and from the Division Street Yard on Goose Island and Galewood.  They would have been too long for the tight radius industrial spurs though.  Prior to the diesel era the Milwaukee Road used 0-6-0 steam locomotives on the North Side lines.  It might be cool if you could model the steam era then also.