Author Topic: Visible track crossing Halsted  (Read 2048 times)

haggar

• View Profile
Visible track crossing Halsted
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »
Today, while leaving my elevator maintenance stop at Storage Mart (1015 N. Halsted) I noticed that the road has been graded and the old brick street is visible along with a track crossing Halsted at Hooker street.  I believe this was mentioned recently.  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Joe

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Visible track crossing Halsted
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:21 PM »
Very cool.  I will have to check it out also.  That would be the former spur to Peanut Specialities on the east side of Halsted that is re-emerging.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »
Here's a picture I took yesterday of the former Peanut Specialty spur crossing Halsted and the former Chicago Surface Lines street car tracks.  Some very interesting, heavy-duty, wide, outer (vs. guard) rail.  It also looks like a faint outline of the curving spur can be seen on the east side of Halsted, just past the billboard.

From the old maps it would appear that the current Storage Mart building is the former Peanut Specialty, Inc., building.  It appears on the 1971 and 1955 engineering diagrams.  Also served by this track that cut across Halsted at Hooker was a Sealy Mattress plant where the Greyhound bus terminal now sits.  The 1955 track diagram shows the spur dividing into two tracks once it crossed Halsted, with one spur for Peanut Specialty and the other for Sealy.  However both Sealy and the second track were gone by the 1971 track diagram. 

According to an online article I found the Primrose Candy Company of Chicago "purchased the salt water taffy, line and panning equipment for French burnt peanut and Boston Baked Beans from the Peanut Specialty Com. in 1980...which required the company to acquire an adjoining building near its present site in order to accommodate the new production lines." 

So Peanut Specialty went out of business between 1971 and 1980.

Source is

http://www.candyindustry.com/Articles/Cover_Story/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000425748
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:51:40 PM by TBurke »

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Visible track crossing Halsted-NOW GONE
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
Haggar, thanks for the tip. I am glad I was able to get some pictures of the Peanut Specialty (and Sealy Mattress) spur that crossed Halsted since today I noticed that it has been completely paved over.

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:14:16 AM »
No problem Tom.  I also took a couple pics.  The next day I was going to take pics from the Storage Mart roof, but the road had been paved.  And yes, I too noticed that the track is visible under the parking lot pavement where the billboard is.

Joe