Author Topic: Peerless  (Read 2009 times)

D. Kaniuk

• View Profile
    • http://www.dhke.com
Peerless
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Went by Peerless today, the place is tape off with yellow tape. On the wall is spray painted, no parking as 12/17/2007. Looks like the building is about to be torn down.

The building across the street is gone. Various crane were on the lot.

raisin

• View Profile
Peerless
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
Hard to believe that just a few months ago I was chasing down a train delivering there.  I\'m glad I caught it while I had the chance.

TBurke

• View Profile
Peerless
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
I\'m avoiding using Diversey these days so I don\'t get depressed by seeing Peerless shuttered then gone.  

Just what the already super congested Lincoln Park neighborhood needs-more high density condos-in place of the former Hostess and Peerless facilities.

Chicago continues to bleed high-paid manufacturing jobs with decent benefits for low-wage retail jobs with few or no benefits.

raisin

• View Profile
Peerless
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
Demolition has begun.  Per Tom\'s comment about jobs, I\'m a bit surprised that the local media didn\'t do any stories on Peerless closing, at least none that I\'m aware of.  The place had a storied history, a decent size payroll, and had the unusual rail service, too.  And, the mayor has made a big deal about saving the candy industry in Chicago.  Yet, Peerless just kind of faded away.  Sad.

Ian

• View Profile
Peerless
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »