Author Topic: Is Finkl officially done?  (Read 3473 times)

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Is Finkl officially done?
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Is Finkl officially done?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
That's too bad but inevitable I suppose.  I wonder what will become of the Finkl site once it is finally shut down on the North Side?  It must be a real brownfield location given the long history of heavy industry there.

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
I talked with one of the engineers back in late June. He said they were still recieving carload orders for Finkl, but didnt know much more than that. Also, they moved a special load of transformers on June 30th. I didn't stay around to watch though, so I was not able to document the move. 

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »
The full article is behind a paywall, but you only need to read the first few sentences..

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20140922/CRED03/140929975/finkl-steel-factory-to-be-demolished

haggar

• View Profile

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Thanks for posting.  The Finkl shutdown at this plant is the end of the Deering Line of the Milwaukee Road.  A sad day indeed.  It would be interesting for someone to document the in-house rail system at Finkl used to move materials around. 

Makes me wonder how much longer Chicago Terminal will hold onto this property with the losses of Peerless then Finkl.  Can they make a go of it just on Big Bay Lumber and General Iron Industries?

Jsu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
I know my knowledge on this subject is small compared to others' here, but I would not think that CTM would abandon the whole line unless General Iron closes.  I think Big Bay , Sipi Metals and General Iron are all relaying on the cheap rail transport much more evenly in proportion to how much CTM relies on them for business.  In my opinion if both both Sipi and Big Bay would close (I'm not even suggesting I want this to happen,) CTM would keep it open for General Iron.  As CTM has few grade crossings and an overall shorter route to General Iron, and given the amount of material General Iron ships out, I think it would be highly unlikely for them to quit as long as General Iron is there. 
On an unrelated note, if you go to street view on 1398 W Le Moyne St and look towards the yard, you can see a tank car that I am pretty sure was for Peerless.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
That Google Streetview that shows the tank car is dated June 2011.  Peerless closed in 2007.  So that tank car is probably for Blommer Chocolate which gets an occasional tank car load on the lower level spur. 

Years ago Blommer also received cocoa beans in burlap bags delivered via boxcar on that lower level spur.