Author Topic: Roundhouses, past and present?  (Read 5778 times)

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
Roundhouses, past and present?
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a discussion on roundhouses, past and present.  Past roundhouses that I know of include the Illinois Central ones down on the site of McCormick Place West, the Chicago Northwestern one on the site of the Tribune Freedom printing plant, and the old Briar Bottle 1/4 roundhouse that sat immediately adjacent to the tracks leading into Ogilvie Station where Left Bank at K Station now sits.  Current roundhouses are more limited, but there's a small locomotive facility left from the Hawthorne Works plant immediately south of the Menards.  There's also the Aurora roundhouse that was beautifully restored into a restaurant.  Random, I know, but I found another restored roundhouse in Kansas City.  A printing company called DST Output has restored almost a full roundhouse located at 2600 Southwest Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64108.  There's articles discussing how it was a superfund site from the Kansas City Terminal railway, and how it was extensively restored.

What other notable roundhouses do you know of in or out of Chicago?

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Re: Roundhouses, past and present?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Not really notable but my town of Rhinelander a little one still stands: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63167988@N00/8251525774/

-Matt

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Brianbobcat-

Good topic to introduce.

Are you sure that Braun Bottlers (Briar Bottles in your post) was a roundhouse at one time?  Looking at historicaerials.com from 1938 it does not appear to have been a roundhouse despite its curved shaped.

A still standing roundhouse includes the former NJI&I facility in South Bend though it was reduced from three stalls to two.  Scroll down at this website.

http://www.monon.monon.org/rr/njii.html

The Milwaukee Road had a massive roundhouse in Milwaukee near the current Miller Park. 

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »
Love this topic - here's one of my favorite roundhouse images. While spending 6 (haha) years at the University of Wisconsin Madison, I never had any idea that this site had a massive MILW roundhouse on it:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullimage.asp?id=4901

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:08:15 AM by jwingstrom »

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Great photos, and nice to see that a number of roundhouses across the country have been turned into museums.  My favorite was the last photo since it was of a C&NW 'house.