Author Topic: Craigin Line  (Read 1767 times)

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
Craigin Line
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »
Hey there,

I was just curious to know when the last run-through train ran on the Craigin Line. I know that it is kind of off-topic,but I was just curious.

Cway

mark_k

• View Profile
Craigin Line
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
Help us, Obi-Wan Kaniuk. You\'re our only hope. ;)

D. Kaniuk

• View Profile
    • http://www.dhke.com
Craigin Line
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Ok Ok ok
I do have the exact date of the last run through, but here is the sequence. Metra and C&NW experts can supply some of the dates.

The last run from the Skokie valley line, across Mayfair Jct and down the Cragin line was in the late 1980\'s.
Find the date when the Skokie line from Bryn Mawr Jct to Skokie was abandoned and back date 2 years. Yhis was the one of two cuts to the route. The other cut came where the Cragin line crosses the Milwaukee west line just south of Armitage.
Metra in the early 1990\'s, doing track work, removed the diamonds. This broke the cragin line into 2 segments, 40th st yard to Milwaukee west line and Mayfair to south to milwaukee west line. About this time, the Mayfair yard was closed. Today, the Mayfair yard is filled with houses and townhomes. From 1980 to present, the number of shippers on the cragin line continue to disappear. The biggest customer on the line was FW Hall.

Today, on the North seqment, the bakery is the only customer, not sure what customers are left on the part from Milwaukee west line to 40th st yard.
In the past, the line from Mayfair south served: Peoples Gas (Milwaukee ave), Hines lumber (Milwaukee ave), A electric motor co (Milwaukee ave), Cleveland wrecking (Milwaukee ave), a small material yard (Addison Ave), FW Hall, and others south of Belmont.

Hope this confuses the issue further (just kidding)

mark_k

• View Profile
Craigin Line
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
Thanks Doug!