Author Topic: New Engine Spotted at North Ave. Yard  (Read 3073 times)

TribuneFreightFanatic

• View Profile
New Engine Spotted at North Ave. Yard
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
 Hello all,
I spent most of the morning following the North Ave. UP crew's usual actions. However, I noticed something was different. Was it the increase in CP Rail cars? No. That's been that way. The weather? Nah--usual Chi-town fall weather. Then it dawned on me: THE ENGINE! Yes, its the same good old GP-15 model we're all used to, but it wasn't the old rusty #547 engine. There is a new engine in the yard: UPY712 was seen doing the switch job today. Not sure if it is a permanent swap between the engines, or just a temporary usage. It was pretty nice to see the clean, new geep though-- a sign of progress in the seemingly dwindiling yard. I have attached a photo of UPY712 on this page.    8)

tytrain

• View Profile
Re: New Engine Spotted at North Ave. Yard
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
I think it is indeed a "permanent" swap, as 712 was in the yard when I drove by on 11/11/12.

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Just got to make my yearly thanksgiving trek down the city.  The yard was mostly empty but there were 5 UP engines!  Never saw that many before.  Wonder what the reason was.  Any thoughts?

-Matt

tytrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
There's yet another new engine down there - UPY 550, which I saw idling next to the CT unit on Sunday morning.

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
When does the North Ave. yard usually work?  Is it always the same time and same days, or is it really all up in the air and is based on just need?  What about the Tribune yard and Bloomer?

tytrain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »
Just got to make my yearly thanksgiving trek down the city.  The yard was mostly empty but there were 5 UP engines!  Never saw that many before.  Wonder what the reason was.  Any thoughts?

-Matt
Now I'm intrigued. Today I saw six (!!!) engines (UPY 552, 553, 705, 712, 738, and 739) sitting just north of the yard off I-90/94. Is this some sort of light engine move? If so, why were they parked there for several hours? (Saw them at 10 AMish and 2 PMish)

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »
tytrain, I noticed that too.  I passed by there at 8:30PM, saw the engines all hooked up to box cars and other miscellaneous cars that frequent the North Ave. yard.  Must've just been the beginning of a long haul with those cars.  Anyone know where Tribune gets their newspaper from, or where the cars go after they leave North?