Author Topic: CTR first day of operations video  (Read 3091 times)

tom mann

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mannresearch.com
CTR first day of operations video
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
http://vimeo.com/36257692

Tom Burke was in the cab on this historic day!

JohnColeman

• View Profile
Re: CTR first day of operations video
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
Tom thanks for uploading this.  It's especially nice to see the Lakewood branch and Peerless being switched.   Sad it is now gone, but nice to see it "alive" again here.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
Thanks.  I recall having to be careful that I did not get poked in the eye by the tree branches on the eastern side of the ROW up to Peerless.  That nice new paint got all scratched up on the first trip.  The crew came back later with hedge clippers to trim them.

TBurke

• View Profile
Recollections from the first day of operations on the Chicago Terminal
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
I'm glad that Tom (Mann) posted the video of the first day of operations on the Chicago Terminal.  He took my raw video (shot with a Sony digital camcorder) and edited it into the presentable format you see now. 

I joined the crew in the morning at the North Avenue Yard office of UP where the crew picked up their FAXed train orders.  A contractor was on hand to make sure the engine operated properly. 

In a way I acted as a pilot for the CTR crew which had never gone on these tracks before, answering questions as to how CP Rail did things.  CP apparently did not bother to provide them with any operating information. 

I was with the crew during their first two days of operation at the invitation of Ed Ellis, the president of the parent company of CTR, Iowa Pacific, to help document the first operations.  Ed originally invited Tom until he realized that Tom lived in MD. 

The temperature dropped throughout the day until it was starting to snow by the time the train headed back from Peerless.  I hopped off the locomotive at Cortland and Kingsbury and walked to my parked car on Elston at Magnolia since the crew was going to continue onto Goose Island.  It was getting late, my camcorder battery had died, and it was getting too dark for still photos. 

I sent Tom (Mann) additional footage from Day Two down to Goose Island as well as from a few years earlier on ground level of a CP Rail crew making the run to Peerless then switching it out.  Hopefully he will be able to edit it and upload those videos too.

And yes, I did take official vacation time from work to ride with the CTR crew!  I always wondered what people would think if they saw me leaning out of the side of a locomotive from work as I passed over side streets!

Tom

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15:53 AM »
Very much appreciated.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen them in action and it brings back many good memories.  Thanks again!

-Matt

gordg3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks so much for posting. Great video.

Suedehead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »
Wow, that was a great video!  Thank you for posting that.  That ride had to be an experience of a lifetime especially now that the line is pretty much gone.

I noticed at times that the camera seemed to be moving more intensely than others.  Did you find that the condition of the track to be rough or sunken in certain areas causing the cab to sway?

Thanks again!

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
I'm glad you liked it.  It was an amazing ride with the crew.  Most of the time the track was rough plus there was vibration coming from the engine inside the locomotive.  I did not have a tripod or other mount so I had to hold the camcorder propped up in front.

There are gaps in the video where I paused the camcorder to preserve battery life while we waited 20 minutes at the Lakeshore Athletic Club for the drivers to move their cars blocking the tracks, as well as other moments where we stopped. 

I also have video shot from the excursion train in 2008 when it left the former Peerless spur to return back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DYywAJUEXc&feature=plcp&context=C32f946fUDOEgsToPDskKNtbHEvfQLD4L-5r5C8Sx0

Tom Mann is editing video I shot of CP Rail working the C&E Line as well. 

Tom Burke