Author Topic: Chicago Terminal 01/23/07  (Read 3782 times)

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
Chicago Terminal 01/23/07
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:43:20 AM »
I had Tuesday off and was finally able to follow the CTRR.  Ran into a couple fellow fans along the way.  They were having some trouble with the switch in General Iron.  They had three gons for Finkl, and picked up three.  Dropped three gons at General Iron.  Dropped a center beam and boxcar for Big Bay.

Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

ntancula

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Thanks Chuck, you got some shots of me in my orange and blue coat. :)

That switch at general iron is a real pain to clean out, as we don\'t have the luxury of a high rail truck following us.

A little backround on me:
My name is Nick Tancula and I\'m a Conductor Trainee on the CTR. This is my first railroad job, but I represent the fourth generation of my family working in the railroad bussiness.

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
Ntancula, nice to have a person contributing on the board that is actually involved in the operations.Hope to get some of your insights. Start an online diary of the weekly jobs! We all would enjoy hearing about the behind the scenes operations and background info. Especially up to date info like when Finkl will stop service, if it looks like it will be replaced by another on line customer, and if any new customers may be coming on line for the CTRR. You\'re a part of a new chapter in the history of the line.

First Question: Do you work any other area in Chicago during the week and then work Goose Island on Tuesday & THursday? Thanks.

GM
GM

ntancula

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
Finkl will be closing in 18 months. Some more bad news, Peerless is also closing at the end of April. Right now we only run tues and thurs but word is we might take over something from the CP out of Bensinville Yard, I\'m thinking it would probably be the \"Spalding Patrol\".

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
Boy, that is bad news. Looks like the CP knew this would happen.
This will be the end of the Lakewood line as I guess the residential is winning over the business end. Is Peerless moving to a suburban site or just going out of business?

What is the Spalding Patrol Job, what area and businesses served?

GM
GM

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »
Wow, that is really bad news.  GM, the Peerless web page has the info http://www.peerlesscandy.com/ they are gone forever!!  

Looks like I am going to have to follow you guys up there for some shots Nick.  Any idea when the last run to Peerless will be made?

I think we are still trying to find out what radio frequency you guys use as well!!

Thanks for contributing Nick, it\'s nice to have your insight on this unique operation.

Chuck

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:22:21 PM by chuck »
Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
I have a question regarding ownership of railroad land if anyone has an idea. On the Milw North line by Sears (Cicero & Irving Pk.)they are putting up a new home development on land adjacent to the North Line tracks just south of the Mayfair station. The homes are not sold but are 99 year long term leases making me think that the CP railroad owns this land that once was served by the Milwaukee Rd. I wonder how this works out on Goose Island also with all the new industries. Did the Milw Road sell it or is it all long term lease that is controlled by the CP. This may dictate if train operations ultimately stay in the area or if this will just be a historical website in the near future instead of reporting on ongoing operations. If the Finkl area goes I don\'t believe the line will exist just for Big Bay lumber. The Peerless closing really ends an era. The year 2007 is not looking good so far for us railroading fans of this area.

GM
GM

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:27:26 AM »
This truly is the end of an era. Peerless was pretty much the last action on the Lakewood Branch since 1990.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
Great pictures!

ntancula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
Can\'t wait to see your pictures from yesterday Tom, and it was a pleasure meeting you! Some good news though, in that we will likely be running down the Kingsbury Branch once we repair a switch and crack some pavement near to our new customer. Why he wants to ship firewood out of the city when he already ships it in is mind boggling, but the CTR is very pleased to have a possible new customer. I just wish we didn\'t have to do so much track work!!

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 10:45:05 AM »
Nick:

It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday as well, especially after having met your grandfather.  I\'m happy to hear that the loss of Peerless might be offset by a new customer.

Where along Kingsbury will this new firewood customer be located?  South of North Avenue?

Tom

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »
Is this new customer down Kingsbury south of North Ave or before the split to Goose Island/Kingsbury street?

GM
GM