Author Topic: Chicago Terminal Acquires More UP & CP Lines  (Read 10260 times)

Ian

• View Profile
Chicago Terminal Acquires More UP & CP Lines
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 08:58:52 PM »
Ok.....just for clarification....the Skoike Sub.....did that run south from valley Jct...(I think thats what its called nowadays)...?

And also....yet again if anyone cares...the Central illinois\' last day is April 30th.......I jsut got new info today...and Im pretty sure that is all I am allowed to say.....

-Ian

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
I still railcars in the yard at Mayfair lumber.

GM
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
Yes, the Skokie Subdivision was the official designation by the C&NW and the UP for the line that extended south from Valley Junction.  It more or less paralleled the Edens Expressway.  It also followed ran in the Skokie River watershed or valley, such as it is, which is where the \"Valley\" designation came from.  There\'s still a wooden trestle over the Skokie River in the Northbrook area that these trains ran across.

After the North Shore Line interurban abandoned operations in 1963 the C&NW moved their freight trains from their own line that ran alongside the North Shore Line just to the west onto one of the two main NSL tracks, abandoning their own line.  Word was that the NSL tracks were in better shape.  The C&NW cut over to the NSL tracks just north of Dempster St. where a lazy curve connected them after the NSL abandonment.  The NSL line south of Dempster became the CTA\'s Skokie Swift/Yellow Line.

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
Re: Chicago Terminal Acquires More UP & CP Lines
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
Here's an article on the Elk Grove lines that I hadn't seen before:

http://www.journal-topics.com/business/article_cddd3c60-ad91-11e0-b548-001a4bcf6878.html#user-comment-area

-Matt