Author Topic: Aetna Plywood Spur  (Read 1561 times)

GM

• View Profile
Aetna Plywood Spur
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
Went by what was Aetna Plywood on Elston on my bike this morning and two trucks were alongside the track and it looked like they were ripping up the track from the spur.

GM
GM

TBurke

• View Profile
Aetna Plywood Spur
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Aetna spur.

One more piece of our industrial heritage and that of the Milwaukee Road on the North Side being chiseled away.  It seems things hit a plateau in terms of destruction and removal of tracks used and unused, and now it\'s accelerating again.  

The old adage remains the same-get those pictures now of even ordinary railroad operations and remnants since the chances are high that they might not be there the next time you bike, hike, or drive by.

I regret not carrying a camera with me more in the early 1980s when I took a lot of this north side trackage for granted.  During the summer of 1981 I worked as a college intern at Stewart-Warner and to get there I had to walk from the Clybourn station north along Ashland then northwest on Clybourn.  I passed over the then active Deering Line at Ashland as well as various C&NW industrial leads but never thought to take pictures.  I still recall seeing a C&NW switcher coming down off the North Line to cross Clybourn and enter the Deering Industrial Area to switch out Cotter & Company or other businesses there.