Author Topic: Rails inside filtration plant  (Read 2941 times)

kimball2

• View Profile
Rails inside filtration plant
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:11 AM »
I saw on Google Earth that there are still are tracks inside the filtration plant near Navy peir.  They are on the south end next to the dock on the lake.  Could they somehow reconnect the tracks there to the remanents of the navy peir line and ship in colriene (if they still use it their) or set up some kind of frieght peir.

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
It would be fun to watch a train try to run down Carrol street these days!!

The construction site between LaSalle and Wells has the tracks blocked with a little bit of everything.  Then construction betweem Clark and Dearborn, and lets not forget Trump!!  There is a lot of construction traffic going down there.

-=Chuck=-
Mail: chuckjanda@hotmail.com
Home: http://www.chucksphotospot.com
Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

kimball2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
Why dosent the Chicago Terminal Railroad buy the Navy pier line and haul construction supplies to the Trump Tower construction site and later on rextend the line to the filteration plant and haul colriene there.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Kimball:

The C&NW line to Navy Pier was severed about 1982 when a section of it was paved over for a parking lot just west of Columbus Avenue near Illinois St.  It had been out of service following the relocation of the Chicago Tribune\'s newspaper printing facility to the Freedom Center on Grand Avenue at the Chicago River.

The tracks to Navy Pier east of Lower Michigan Avenue were mostly removed during the redevelopment of the North Pier Terminal into a retail and restaurant complex in 1988 as well as redevelopment of Navy Pier into a shopping and restaurant destination.  

Since the neighborhood is now residential and very congested, it probably is no longer suited for rail service.

The tracks and right-of-way are gone so it is unlikely that Chicago Terminal, or another railroad, will ever go out to Navy Pier again.

Please see the Navy Pier section of this website for pictures of what it looked like prior to the tracks being removed and the area redeveloped.

Tom

JohnColeman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:49:59 PM »
I just looked at this as well.  Amazing!  Are those really (still) tracks?  It looks like a whole freight yard is still under the ramps!  It would be great to get some close up pictures if it is possible.

JohnColeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »
I was looking at MSN, which gives you a better view than google.

kimball2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
I just went over there today 8/21/07 and they are train tracks all right.  I did get some pictures and I will post them soon.

JohnColeman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
Can\'t wait to see the pics!

raisin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:14:50 PM »
Does anybody know how the plant gets its chlorine now?  Boat?  Truck?  Pipeline?

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »
Most likely, the city discontinued use of bulk chlorine when it stopped using rail service.  The trend has been away from treating water with chlorine gas for many years now.