Author Topic: Brand Brewing buildings on Elston Threatened Once More  (Read 1729 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Brand Brewing buildings on Elston Threatened Once More
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
According to an article in the Chicago Reader, the 90-day waiting period is up and the Brand Brewing complex could be demolished at any time.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2011/12/01/the-brand-brewing-complex-to-raze-or-not-to-raze

The Brand Brewing complex later housed US Brewing and other companies.  According to a 1985 C&NW track diagram the buildings were still listed as rail-served industries, with the (now demolished) northernmost building housing the Brolite Company and the middle building (still standing) housing Aluminum Recycling. 

If HH Gregg gets its way and tears down the Brand Brewing buildings then Elston will be a desert of vast parking lots and big box stores, its industrial heritage snuffed out. 

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
Re: Brand Brewing buildings on Elston Threatened Once More
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:21 AM »
It's gone now.  I take the Metra in most days of the week, and I saw them demolishing both buildings several weeks ago.  So much for the alderman not granting them the zoning change, or the developer decided to bulldoze the building even without the zoning.  I hope the alderman gives that developer the finger and doesn't grant them the change just for being difficult and unwilling to work on a compromise.  Too bad HHGregg didn't come to chicago a couple years ago, they could've gone into the old Circuit City space.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
Sad...I did notice a big cleared space while taking the train home yesterday in that area and I was trying to place it...now it's obvious-the former Brand Brewery. 

JohnI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
My girlfriend and I ran by there today on Elston, and EVERYTHING is gone. It took them no time to raze the place and get the contents shipped off. I have no doubt the old wood beams used for structural support will get a wood reclaim operation a pretty penny. It's just too bad they couldn't save that beautiful building...