Author Topic: some amazing additions to my Flickr  (Read 2839 times)

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
some amazing additions to my Flickr
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
Hi,

If you haven't already swung by the Flickr site recently you really have to.  There are some absolutely amazing additions:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1793636@N21/

Don't be afraid to start adding your own!

-Matt

gordg3

• View Profile
Re: some amazing additions to my Flickr
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
Great photos!

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  Some really interesting photos.

For whatever reason the vast majority of the photos date from the Soo Line ownership era on up of the former Milwaukee Road lines.  Photos of actual Milwaukee Road operations on its own tracks seem rare.  Also rare are photos of operations on the Deering Line and on the C&E North Line north of Diversey.

It's as if we (including me) did not start documenting these lines and operations until 1985 or so.  My guess is that they were taken for granted and when they started to disappear railfans took notice and photos. 

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
It only gets better...

You wanted Milwaukee pics.  Looks like you'll get some.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76677346@N04/sets/72157636485100566

I wish we could get these published somewhere!

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »
Good find.  I especially like the photos from 1979 showing action on Belmont Avenue and around Reed Candy's plant a couple of blocks south on Lakewood.

My guess is that the train is using the track north of Belmont as a tail to then shove down the Reed spur.  That covered hopper probably has sugar and the tank car corn syrup for either Reed or Peerless.

The tracks were cut back circa 1973 on the north end down to Racine Avenue and just south of Roscoe so that service could be maintained to a fuel oil dealer on the west side of Racine.  Then they were cut back again to Melrose with just enough track left in place for use as a tail track to access to Reed spur.  When Reed closed this plant in 1983 the tracks were once again severed, this time at Diversey.  An isolated bit of track is still in the parking lot of the business at 1231 W. School.

Attached is a screen shot from Google Streetview showing the isolated track at School looking north as well as one from 1984 of the same spot, but looking south towards School Street.  Hard to believe that 30 years later this short section of track would still be there!  Note the remains of the wig-wag style crossing signal and evidence of at least one other track to the west.  Finally, a shot of the tail track looking south from Melrose to Belmont from 1987 with the Best Brewing complex towering off in the distance on the right. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:24:08 PM by TBurke »

Jeff Wingstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
Wowww those are fantastic, thanks! Having too much fun trying to match some of them up with recent Google street views..