Author Topic: Proctor & Gamble  (Read 2437 times)

Northwesterner

• View Profile
Proctor & Gamble
« on: August 30, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »
I noticed in Tom Burke\'s recent photo study, he mentioned the Milwaukee Road serving the Proctor & Gamble plant on North Avenue. I often passed this plant when it was still operating. Often at night, the C&NW would be switching cars in & out of the plant, and onto Magnolia Ave. Am I correct in understanding that MILW accessed the plant from the north side via the spur track that curves though Sipi Metals parking lot, then down Wabansia?

TBurke

• View Profile
Proctor & Gamble
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 07:59:36 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  P&G shipped out finished goods via the Milwaukee Road from the NW side of the plant.  A single track (still partly in place by Sipi) ran down Wabansia east across Elston, then divided into two tracks where it entered an enclosed dock.  My guess is that the C&NW tracks from the south served more to deliver inbound raw materials.  

You can see an aerial view of the Milwaukee Road tracks and the P&G plant in the newest issue of The Milwaukee Railroader.  I have a feature piece on the Deering Line and one of the photos includes the P&G plant by the river.

Northwesterner

• View Profile
Proctor & Gamble
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:32:29 AM »
Yes, C&NW was always bringing in covered hoppers which I\'m sure carried raw materials. I never saw any railcars with what I would guess to be finished goods.