Author Topic: The Sandman lives!  (Read 2446 times)

Northwesterner

• View Profile
The Sandman lives!
« on: June 21, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »
I pass Lee Lumber (Kimball, just east of I90/94) daily to and from work. I just re-read Taylor Rich\'s description of the activities there. I remember the Ex-DMIR ore jennies that C&NW used to provide sand to Lee and Pioneer.
As I passed Lee on this Monday morning, I noted to myself that the sand pile looked low.
This morning (Tuesday) there were approx. 16 U.P. Aggregate cars and two lumber cars on the siding by Lee. This move must be at night, because I have never seen any locomtives in the vicinity. My prediction is that the cars will be gone tomorrow morning. It is nice to know that some things are remarkedly constant in this busy high speed age.

KAW

Northwesterner

• View Profile
The Sandman lives!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:49:56 PM »
Passed Lee & Pioneer this morning (wednesday). The aggregate cars are all gone, the lumber cars remain, altough they have been unloaded.

KAw

Northwesterner

• View Profile
The Sandman lives!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:22:14 AM »
It is apparent that with summer being here, construction is at a fenzied pace in Chicago. As I passed Pioneer again on Friday morning. I noted that the lumber cars were now gone, and the sand pile was completely gone. Perhaps a train load of sand would be here soon.
Saturday morning: it\'s baack! The sand train, that is. Two notable differences: 1)There two U.P. locos at the south end of the Lee/Pioneer team track, probably because Metra is on its weekend schedule so less interference with them, and  2)In the past the cars used for this service were tuscan red in color with \"Union Pacific\" spelled out; these cars are turquoise in color with just the U.P. shield on them.