Author Topic: CNW Facilities  (Read 2416 times)

mecovey

• View Profile
CNW Facilities
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:22:24 PM »
One of the magazines (Classic Trains I think) had an article about the passenger facilities during steam days in the area of Chicago and Halstead. Until a few months ago I worked on North North Branch just off Division and it seemed the site must have been fairly close. Any idea where I might get a vintage map of the area showing the railroad facilities?
Thanks
Michael

TBurke

• View Profile
CNW Facilities
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 10:47:13 PM »
The railroad lines on North Branch on Goose Island belonged to the Milwaukee Road originally.  Current day operations on Goose Island are conducted by Milwaukee Road successor CP Rail on Cherry St. to Big Bay Lumber though out-of-service tracks continue south onto North Branch.  Two Milwaukee Road spurs used to cross North Branch to service three industries north of Division St.

The C&NW operations were all on the west side of the Chicago River and across from Goose Island in this area.  The C&NW had extensive operations around Chicago and Halsted as does successor UP.

Various magazines have featured track plans of the area.  You might try contacting the Chicago & North Western Historical Society for backissues.  The Chicago Historical Society and the Chicago Public Library have detailed Sanborn Insurance valuation maps which show rail lines from the early part of the 20th century also.