Author Topic: Alpha Baking Derailment  (Read 1744 times)

Brianbobcat

• View Profile
Alpha Baking Derailment
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:45 AM »
On the way into the city wednesday, April 24th, I spotted what looked like the  Alpha Baking delivery derailed.  There was North Avenue's Yard engine 712 closest to the UP-NW line, then it looked like a gap between it and the two rails cars.  At that gap were two mini-cranes which I assumed to be lifting it back onto the rails.  I snapped these three pics, but the first one is the best.  (Sorry, I don't know how to scale the images down for the forum, so they're the full size from my phone.)

I kept an eye out on my way back, and as of 10:45pm, the engine was still there as I could see it's cab's lights.  There weren't any portable spots out there, so my pure guess is that they weren't able to get it back on track, literally, and since it's not on a busy line and it sounds like the engine isn't used much if at all on thursdays, the workers would finish the job thursday.

On another note, there was a larger UP engine on the spur east of Arthur Road in Arlington Heights.  This was the first time I personally have seen anything on this MOW track.  It was just sitting there with no cars, so I wonder if it's waiting to move downtown, or waiting to go on the line that skirts the west boundary of O'Hare.  My bet is the later as this is the last siding before the O'Hare line breaks from the UP-NW line.