Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: ADM mill being demolished
« Last post by TBurke on February 17, 2021, 05:08:38 PM »
The subject says it all. Sterling Bay was going to try to re-purpose part of it but apparently it's all coming down. I lived right across the tracks from here. My son and I spent many hours watching the evening switch job. He developed a love for trains; a nice hobby we'll always be able to share.
One of these years, when I have free time, I'll post the numerous videos I took of those switching jobs.
With Continental Paper Grading being relocated,  the only immediate downtown area industries left are Tribune and Blommer. And we all know that Trib plans on selling off that land in the near future.

Joe

Chicago gets lets interesting every year with the loss of its industrial heritage.

The Tribune was bought out this week by an investment group known for its aggressive cost-cutting. They will probably gut the paper with yet more layoffs and try to sell the land on which the Freedom Center printing press operates. The Tribune prints in addition to its own paper the Sun-Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times there under contracts.

I suppose they could outsource production to the go-to regional printer, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has extra capacity at its printing press in West Milwaukee that is only some twenty years old and truck the newspapers to the Chicago area. CP services this printing press as it does with the much smaller Daily Herald printing press in Schaumburg.

General Discussion / Re: ADM mill being demolished
« Last post by rschroeder1 on February 14, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
I came across this switching job quite a few times on my bike commute home.  One video of it (not my video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGtQr9CuiyE

One question someone might be able to answer.  On a couple rare occasions, the NS switching engine would be parked on the ADM tracks, engine off, cab empty.  I suppose the crew could have been picked up there, just not sure why that might be.
General Discussion / ADM mill being demolished
« Last post by haggar on February 13, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
The subject says it all. Sterling Bay was going to try to re-purpose part of it but apparently it's all coming down. I lived right across the tracks from here. My son and I spent many hours watching the evening switch job. He developed a love for trains; a nice hobby we'll always be able to share.
One of these years, when I have free time, I'll post the numerous videos I took of those switching jobs.
With Continental Paper Grading being relocated,  the only immediate downtown area industries left are Tribune and Blommer. And we all know that Trib plans on selling off that land in the near future.

Joe
General Discussion / Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Last post by rschroeder1 on February 10, 2021, 11:51:34 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Rob, I've been a longtime reader of this board but haven't posted until now.  I've always had a curiosity about the random train lines snaking through the city and found this site one day.  I've learned a lot here!

While I grew up in the suburbs, my grandmother lived on the far north side, and I was always a bit obsessed with the Cragin line running through Chicago and Lincolnwood (I think).  In the 90's, it was very rare to see a train on the weekends when we would be in the city, but it happened once or twice.  I recall they were always the randomest of engines and train sets, at least to my youthful mind.

I believe a forum member here has posted a lengthy video of Cragin line action, which was fascinating to watch.

As an adult, I've been a bike commuter in the city, heading from Lincoln Park/Lake View to the Illinois Medical District area.  Goose Island has always been a logical route for me, so I've watched the ebb and flow of the Chicago Terminal over the past years.  I'll never forget the day in which I biked to work with everything "normal" on the line - empty, no action.  When I came home, there were tanker cars parked all over the line.  Quite a surprise!  I was lucky to also catch the removal of the tankers at the North Ave. crossing.

I don't have pictures or anything to add, but just wanted to share my appreciation for this board as a learning tool and historical resource, especially as switching lines slowly disappear.  I'll chime in as I can moving forward!
General Discussion / Re: Possible newly discovered photo of Wrigley Field area
« Last post by JohnColeman on February 07, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
Great picture.  A lot going on in it.  Thanks for posting!
General Discussion / Re: Possible newly discovered photo of Wrigley Field area
« Last post by TBurke on February 04, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »
In doing some searches, I came across this article with a nice 1950s era photo looking north across Clark towards Wrigley Field. I searched the forums here and did not see a reference to it, so hopefully something new:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2018/11/25/18109222/wrigley-field-historical-sleuthing-1950s-mystery

Regards,
Ethan

I have not seen that photo posted before. Nice find.

It looks like a white '55 Packard Clipper on the left. Streetcar service ended in 1958 so that would place this scene between late '54 when that model of Packard would have come out and 1958.
General Discussion / Re: Southside Switching?
« Last post by TBurke on February 04, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
Hello all, hope everyone is staying safe.

Just wondering if there is any update on a southside switching section to the website?
I remember it being discussed a couple years back.

Not that I have seen. Webmaster Tom Mann has the site in maintenance mode for the most part nowadays.
Modeling / HO scale modeling notes - Griswold crossing signals, MILW Thrall caboose
« Last post by Ethan on February 01, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »
I'm in a "deep" research phase right now, in part seeking out suitable models. A couple things of note that I've come across lately:

Griswold crossing signals

Milwaukee Road Thrall cabooses

I have no stake in any of the companies above, but was happy to find these very specific models.

Next up: finding suitable 1970s era CCLX corn syrup tank cars. No easy feat - so far Tangent seems to have something close, but not exact.

Best,
Ethan

Modeling / Re: Lakeview Racine Fuel/Oil info?
« Last post by Ethan on February 01, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Thanks Chuck, great suggestion.

I had looked at the options and unfortunately the granularity of the photos ain't great, which is of course not too surprising. It is better than nothing, but most detail is had to discern.

Best,
Ethan
General Discussion / Possible newly discovered photo of Wrigley Field area
« Last post by Ethan on February 01, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »
In doing some searches, I came across this article with a nice 1950s era photo looking north across Clark towards Wrigley Field. I searched the forums here and did not see a reference to it, so hopefully something new:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2018/11/25/18109222/wrigley-field-historical-sleuthing-1950s-mystery

Regards,
Ethan
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]